• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ranger fuel problem

Zyzz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Both fuel pumps work, the fuel rail has no pressure? And I'm not getting any gas in the return line. Is it the regulator or the rail?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS

Never assume there is gas in the tank, always add some.

Could be there is no fuel getting into the pump in the gas tank, clogged "sock", it's the screen around the fuel pump that prevent debris getting sucked in.
The "sock" can get completely clogged on older vehicles.

Remove the fuel line from the fuel pump in the frame rail and turn on the key, pump should run for two seconds and you should get a good amount of fuel out in that time.
If no fuel then either sock in tank is clogged or fuel pump is running but not working.

There may also be a reservoir/filter in the frame rail, they can get clogged up as well

Zyzz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS

Never assume there is gas in the tank, always add some.

Could be there is no fuel getting into the pump in the gas tank, clogged "sock", it's the screen around the fuel pump that prevent debris getting sucked in.
The "sock" can get completely clogged on older vehicles.

Remove the fuel line from the fuel pump in the frame rail and turn on the key, pump should run for two seconds and you should get a good amount of fuel out in that time.
If no fuel then either sock in tank is clogged or fuel pump is running but not working.

There may also be a reservoir/filter in the frame rail, they can get clogged up as well

The truck sat for a couple years, I replaced the gas tank, sending unit high and low pumps and ran all new line. I'm getting fuel all the way up to the regulator but no pressure in the rail and I discontented the return line there is no gas getting returned.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fuel pressure regulator(FPR) sends fuel to return line when vacuum line has negative pressure, put a hose on that connection and suck on it that will open the FPR and send fuel out the return line connection

I assume when you disconnect the fuel line(coming from rail fuel pump) from the fuel rail and turn on the key you are getting fuel coming out.
If so, and none from FPR with vacuum applied then yes, fuel rail is clogged

rhythim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I ran into this on the '86 STX 4x4 I bought about a month ago. Was starving for fuel--would run a couple seconds, then die, even after replacing both pumps. I could get fuel up to the rail, but no pressure to speak of. Turned out to be the reservoir on the frame rail between the fuel pumps with the fuel filter in it. Your '88 may not have a cartridge type filter like mine does, but should still have the reservoir. Anyhow, there are 2 rubber/steel check valves in the reservoir, visible once you unscrew the cap. One on the feed side, one on the return side. My truck had been sitting since 2007 and pretty much every part of the fuel system was gunked up, including those check valves. They're easy to pop out, just have a spring steel retainer ring holding them in. Cleaned them with compressed air and most anything I could find in the shop that wouldn't eat rubber, re-installed them and instantly had ideal fuel pressure and fuel flow.

YMMV, but that fixed my truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals