• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'91 2.9 Fuel Delivery issues when starting

ArizonaRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I was hoping someone could help me diagnose an issue with my truck. I've tried everything I could find, and still don't know what's going on. 1991 Ranger 4x4 2.9l manual tranny.

When starting my truck (warm, cold, just turned off, doesn't matter), it takes a couple of key turns to start. Once started, there are no issues whatsoever, it runs just fine on idle and under high RPMs.

I've tried turning to Key on Engine Off, and I can hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds. I turn it off then back to KOEO several times, and it has no effect on starting. No matter what I try, it doesn't start on the first crank. I have to crank several times, and pump the gas pedal to get the engine to catch. I've checked the schrader valve on the fuel rail, and I've got pressure (fuel sprays out when I press on the center of the valve).
The problem started a couple of weeks ago, and it would only start on the second try, now it takes three tries. It seems to be the same issue as this other poster:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160172
I also checked the fuses and relays, and found no issues there. Is it really an issue with the fuel system as I suspect, or could it be a bad starter?
What else should I check before I start throwing new parts at it?

On a similar note, are there any tips for using a fuel pressure gauge? I rented one from O'Reilly, and hooked it up and didn't read any pressure, even when the truck was running. Since Ford uses a schrader valve, I hooked up the gauge with the Ford adapter to my bike tire, and read the proper pressure, so I know that the gauge is working. I know there was fuel pressure to be read, because I could manually press the valve and get a squirt of gasoline, so I must be connecting the gauge to this valve improperly. I disconnected and reconnected several times with no effect. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks so much, this community has already saved my butt on several occasions, I hope y'all can come through for me again!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Similar issue I had with my Bronco 2, and the shop found that the fuel pressure regulator had a hole in it so it was dumping fuel into the cylinders on one side flooding the engine causing smoking issues when it would finally start. I'd look into replacing the fuel pressure regulator.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals