• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The temperature control knob

nedinwc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think is broken. I have no clue how this works, a cable to something in the engine? Sorry for my ignorance, but when I turn the knob from hot to cold, I feel no drag, so I'm assuming it is not connected. My reason is based on the fact that my AC only works on the "max AC" position. If I set the AC/heat selector to "AC", I get high heat. Ditto on all the other settings. I can't turn the temp down. So, consequently, I cannot get straight air flow w/o heat.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There was never any cable on a '97. It's vacuum controlled. And your vacuum is leaking.

nedinwc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply. Oh vacuum, I miss the days of pullys, gears and cables. Nice mechanical stuff.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Vacuum based systems with no moving cables can be extremely reliable, especially in an environment where nothing gets touched like behind the dash.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'll trade you my 1972 Chevy for your 1997 Ranger.

It has heater cables. They are next to impossible to keep from binding. To the point of breaking the levers (LMC sells replacements cheap...I wonder why). Vacuum can't bind.

nedinwc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Found the problem

Was hoping it was the actuator switch. Tried that, not it. Was told by my local shop it's the door on the heater box, there is a hex bolt on the hinge that is most likely stripped out. In order to replace it, the entire dash has to be removed, an 8 hour job to replace a $12. part. They said it would run a bit over $700.00. Bummer.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
there's a step by step writeup on how to remove the dash to change the heater rad somewhere on this site. I know you are not trying to change the heater core but it's in the same area and requires the same amount of work, might want to change it at the same time. you could save yourself some cash.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals