• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D35 Axle Problem - no 4x4

94RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The other day I went to pull sections of a large tree up over the hill, courtesy of the remnants of Hurricane Ike, so that I could cut them up with a chainsaw. As I hooked onto the first chunk and began to pull, I came to the realization that my 4 wheel drive was not working. I have a 94 Ranger with a D35 up front and Warn manual hubs. The transfer case engages and sends the power to the front axle but the power is not transmitted to the wheels. I get a periodic grinding noise. When I rolled under the truck, I noticed that I can spin the right axle shaft (passenger side) and hold the passenger side axle shaft where the axle exits the differential still. The point at where the two parts quit moving as one is inside a rubber boot. In the link the part that I am refering to is the rubber boot and Keystone Clamp (diagram from TRS technical library) - http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/diagrams/as2.GIF
Since I have never torn the axle apart, what would one expect is the failure and how do I go about replacing. I guess I really don't know how the two shafts are connected to each other. If I pull everything off the passenger side, will the entire shaft pull out of the passenger side of the differential or is it locked into the differential somehow?

Secondly, while I have it apart what all should I look at replacing. The truck has 200k miles and the wheel bearings have been replaced within the last 20k miles or so.

Thanks in advance...

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like your passenger axle shaft needs replaced.

While you are in there, you should replace the u-joints in the axle shafts.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the joint you are referring to is called a slip joint. the shafts are splined, female on the inside shaft and male on the outer shaft, and they slide into one another so the axle as a whole can get longer and shorter as the suspension cycles. it sounds like you stripped the splines, you'll need a new passenger side axle.

the inside half of the axle is locked into the differential with a c-clip, and its somewhat of an ordeal to remove it. you need to remove everything down to the spindles on both sides. the drivers side axle shaft will slide right out through the hole in the knuckle....as will the outer passenger side shaft (just cut one of the clamps holding the rubber boot on the slip joint and it'll pull right apart). then you need to undo the diff. cover bolts and remove the pinch bolt from the drivers side of the case, as well as undoing the front driveline from the diff.. the diff. will then swing out and you can remove the c-clip and inner axle.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I found it very difficult to get to the pinch bolt without losening the Radius arm and swinging it out of the way first.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so does he have 3 wheel drive then?

94RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the help guys. It looks like I am going to have to get some parts on order and make some free time to complete the repair before hunting season and the snow starts to fly.

As for the reply with 3 wheel drive...nope. Without a locker, power simply goes to the wheel with least amount of traction up front, and since that wheel now has the least friction/traction that is where my power now goes when in 4x4, and since I have an open rear, it is pretty much worthless without the bed empty anywhere off the beaten path.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
I would recommend new joints but junkyard axle shafts. Ford doesnt make the D35 shafts any more. A good place to start would be the TRS classifieds section.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I can help with replacement shafts.....:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals