• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New wave of cruise control switch recalls

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
This post is just to inform owners of 1998-2002 Rangers that Ford has issued a recall to replace/fuse the cruise control switch that has been identified as the source of fires in some Ford models.

PLEASE NOTE, some trucks without cruise control still use this switch. It is also an ABS input. This should only be the case on 2001 and 2002 trucks, but double check! The switch in question is located on the brake master cylinder, in front of the brake fluid resivoir. If you have it, and your truck is included in the recall, take it in ASAP.

On trucks where the switch shows no signs of damage, a fused jumper will be installed in the wiring. On trucks with leaking or otherwise damaged switches, a revised switch and adapter harness will be installed. Either repair only takes about five minutes start to finish.

1995-1997 trucks also use this switch, but are not currently under a recall. They will probably come in the next wave, but you can order the repair parts early if you would like. The fused jumper is about $5, and the revised switch kit is about $15. The part numbers are 4W1Z-14A411-BC for the fused jumper and 1L1Z-9F924-AA for the revised switch kit.

You can see the installation procedure here:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/aegerar1/fsa05s28speedcontroldeacsw.jpg

OVERVIEW :
This program involves performing an inspection procedure to determine which repairs to the speed control system must be performed; either installation of a fused jumper harness or replacement of the speed control deactivation switch. A flow chart has been developed to direct you to the proper service actions.

NOTE: Disconnecting the battery is no longer required when performing these repairs.

INSPECTION - ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES
1. Disconnect the speed control deactivation switch located on the brake master cylinder and inspect the harness connector for the presence of brake fluid. See Figure 1.
a. If no brake fluid is present, install the fused jumper harness (Labor Operation D).
b. If brake fluid is present, disconnect the speed control servo and inspect the vehicle harness connector for heat damage. See Figure 2.
c. If no heat damage is found at the speed control servo connector (even if there is presence of brake fluid in the connector), proceed to Labor Operation E.
d. If the speed control servo connector is heat damaged, call the Special Service Support Center for further instructions.

LABOR OPERATION D - APPLIES TO VEHICLES WITH NON-LEAKING SWITCHES

1.a. Connect the fused jumper harness (14A411) to the speed control deactivation switch and the vehicle harness.
b. Position the harness alongside the existing harness, located below the master cylinder, so that the fuse holder is higher than the rest of the jumper harness. This will cause any water that enters the engine compartment and gets on the jumper harness to run downhill away from the fuse holder.
c. Secure the jumper to the existing harness with tie straps, making sure the fuse holder is positioned vertically with the cap facing upwards. Wrap the tie straps underneath, then over the top of the existing harness and verify proper fuse holder orientation.
2. Release the vehicle.

LABOR OPERATION E - APPLIES TO VEHICLES WITH LEAKING SWITCHES

1. Remove the speed control deactivation switch from the brake master cylinder. CAUTION: Do not allow any foreign material to enter the master cylinder port once the deactivation switch is removed.
2. Add a few drops of MotorCraft High Performance DOT 3 Brake Fluid, PM-1, to the fluid port at the threaded end of the new deactivation switch. CAUTION: DO NOT apply fluid to the electrical connector.
3. Install the new speed control deactivation switch into the master cylinder and tighten to 18 Nm (13 lb-ft).
4. With the speed control servo disconnected, use shop air only to blow the speed control deactivation switch harness electrical connector and the servo connector dry of any trace of brake fluid. DO NOT USE ANY TYPE OF SOLVENT TO CLEAN THE CONNECTORS.
5. Apply Ford Electrical Grease F8AZ-19G208-AA into each cavity of the vehicle harness connector only. It is not necessary to apply grease to the servo side of the connector.
6. Reconnect the servo connector.
7. Install the adapter jumper harness by connecting it to both the deactivation switch and the vehicle harness. Using the provided tie strap, secure the jumper harness to a nearby component such as the speed control cable or another wire harness.
8. Check the brake fluid level in the master cylinder and adjust if necessary.
9. Release the vehicle.
You can see a new (revised) switch installed on a Ranger here:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/aegerar1/tmpphp9VYexV.jpg

Old (faulty) switches can be identified by the orange plastic at the top and smooth metal body (compared to the hex body of the new switches).

If you have questions or problems with the recall, you can contact Ford here:
http://www.fordvehicles.com/help/contact/

Carlos Murphy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
C-control

Too bad, mines too old.
When I used to freeway it and use the C.C. and later change lanes using my turn signal, left signal would turn off the C.C.:confused:

I'm 4-wheelin it now and never use the C.C.any more so it don't matter.

Carlos Murphy

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If yours uses this switch I would do it, $15 is nothing compared to your truck burning to the ground and possibly taking you house with it. If they expand the recall they will probably make it right with you if you keep the receipt and the old switch. I waited almost a year to get my F-150 done, and I got a new switch instead of a jumper, is that a bad thing?:eek:

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Even if you do not use cruise control, the switch still gets used whenever you hit the brakes, so you are not exactly in the clear. Hopefully all affected vehicles will be covered by the next wave of recalls, but there is just a huge number of vehicles for Ford to fix.

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I waited almost a year to get my F-150 done, and I got a new switch instead of a jumper, is that a bad thing?:eek:
Well it probably means that your old switch was leaking brake fluid.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Even if you do not use cruise control, the switch still gets used whenever you hit the brakes, so you are not exactly in the clear. Hopefully all affected vehicles will be covered by the next wave of recalls, but there is just a huge number of vehicles for Ford to fix.
I know with the F-150's is has constant 12v to it full time. These things will go up in someones garage without being driven for days.

Well it probably means that your old switch was leaking brake fluid.
Kind of a scary prospect isn't it? I figured after 3 years if it hadn't done it (this was back when it first started), it wasn't going to and was slightly wrong in that judgement.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295299

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, any vehicle with one of these switches is at risk. That is why I replaced mine months before Ford issed the recall for Rangers.

This is definitely not a recall to be ignored. 5 minutes and $0 could keep your truck from burning down and taking everything nearby with it.

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Just bumping this so that people unaware of the recall will see it...

Jeepman401

Reaction score
Rumor has it that ford is about to expand it to just about everything going back further than they do now.

It is an anoyying recall. They cut down the time to do it from .3 to .2. Its still more than enough time to do the recall, but You almost always get pulled off in the middle of something, and about half the customers want top know how a fused jumper wire is going to keep their car from burning up.

Anyways, here is a complete list of everything in the recall

AFFECTED TRUCK VEHICLES

Year
Model
Notes

1998-2002
Ranger

1998-2001
Explorer/Mountaineer
1999-2001

2001-2002
Explorer Sport & Sport Trac

1995- 2002
F-53 Motorhome

1993-1996
Bronco
1993 vehicles

2003-2004
F-150 Lightning

1993-2003
F-Series Under 8500 GVW
1993 vehicles

1993-2003*
F-Series Over 8500 GVW
(All plants except Cuautitlan)
1993 vehicles
* Built prior to November 4, 2002

1994-2003*
F-Series Over 8500 GVW
(Cuautitlan built only)
* Built prior to January 7, 2003

1997-2002
Expedition

1998-2002
Navigator

2002-2003
Blackwood

1992-2003
E-150/250/350
1992-1993 and 1997-2003

1996-2003
E-450
2003 vehicles

2002-2003
E-550

2000-2003
Excursion
Built prior to November 4, 2002

NOTE: Diesel engine equipped vehicles are not affected.

AFFECTED CAR VEHICLES

Parts will become available in 4th quarter of 2007 to service the following vehicles.

Year
Year
Notes

1992-1998
Crown Victoria / Grand Marquis
1998 MY w/o Traction Assist

1992-1998
Town Car
1998 MY w/o Traction Assist

1993-1998
Mark VIII

1993-1995
Taurus SHO A/T

Capri

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I just found out from a dealer here in So. Cal that the recall is not official until August 13th and the the parts are on National back order until around mid-October. They also suggested I wait until I receive a notice from Ford by mail.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just found out from a dealer here in So. Cal that the recall is not official until August 13th and the the parts are on National back order until around mid-October. They also suggested I wait until I receive a notice from Ford by mail.
Try a different dealer, I rolled into the small dealership my brother works at unanounced on a Saturday morning and was done in less than 20 minutes. This isn't a newly recalled part, they should have some on hand. You might try one in a smaller town and they might still have one it stock. If nothing else I would consider unplugging the cruise until you get it fixed.

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, try another dealer. I took my parents' Ranger to a local dealer and they did it no questions asked. They should have the parts on hand. I had no problem ordering the switch for my truck from a dealer online, but that was a couple months ago.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I am not in a hurry. I inspected the pressure switch and there is no sign of a leak or any other indication of failure.

I will be in a small town where I grew up in Kansas in mid October. The dealer there has helped me before and I can drop by to see if they can help me.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an '03 with the switch, did they change something for the 03 and up model year meaning this is not needed? if they didnt change anything would it be fine to get the fused jumper or should i go right for the revised switch kit when I replace it myself so my GF's truck doesn't have any issues?

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Apparently the wiring was changed in 2003 Rangers. I think they are already fused. The jumper wire or new switch should work just fine in that truck though if you are concerned.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals