• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

towing a jeep?

redrider11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Im planning on getting a jeep for serious offroading but seeing as its not going to be street legal im going to need to tow it. What hitch should i get? I will need it to be strong enough so when the trailer is attached i can drive the jeep onto it. I dont have any power issues with the 4.0L V6. :headbang: im just worried about the hitch not being strong enough and ripping off and messing up my truck when i drive the jeep on the trailer.

Sprag-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
You're going to want a very light trailer to tow that with... and what kind of jeep? Having the 4.0 you have one of the higher tow ratings of the rangers, but check to make sure you're still legal.

Towing a vehicle with a ranger can be done, but its not very good practice, these are little trucks that are easily pushed all over the road.

Trailer brakes will be your friend.

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A standard class 3/4 hitch should be fine. You don't have to worry about ripping the hitch off the truck lol. Once you get the jeep and trailer, I would get it weighed, you might not even be in the limits of your ranger.

dieseltweaker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i wouldnt do it. youll be able to pull it and stop but your going to cook your trans.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Any Class III+ hitch will do nicely. Reese and Valley are the big ones (I an VERY satisfied with my Reese). When choosing a ball get one with the largest shank possible for that size.

If you've got an auto, It'll probably have a somewhat dissapointing life span. The manual trans will be fine.

I'd weigh the costs of a larger rig VS. building a lightweight trailer for the Jeep. The Ranger will likely pull it fine (unless the Jeep is coated in armor and 1ton stuff), but the design and weight of the trailer are probably going to be the deal breaker/maker. Of course with any heaver load, I ALWAYS suggest trailer brakes of some variety, preferably some with a good controller.

Start by looking into trailer designs and what makes a trailer do what it needs to do. If your Ranger is of the longer wheel base variety, that will help to an extent as well.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'd be looking at aluminum trailers for their lighter weight. also, if you plan on towing the jeep regularly, you might want to think about different gears in your axles depending on what gearing you currently have. good luck.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would get a shift kit installed into your tranny def help the life of the tranny if you have an auto.

your rated for 5600lbs a jeep is going to be close to 3-4 and a trailer about 1500. i would say if you have good trailer brakes you should be fine

02_xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
if you wanna tow a jeep i highly suggest getting an f-150 or powerstroke or something with a v8. i wouldnt tow anything heavier than a boat with a ranger even with the 4.0. the engine may be able to handle it but the trans wont, the rear end wont, etcc. the truck is not meant to handle towing that much wieght plain and simple.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
if you wanna tow a jeep i highly suggest getting an f-150 or powerstroke or something with a v8. i wouldnt tow anything heavier than a boat with a ranger even with the 4.0. the engine may be able to handle it but the trans wont, the rear end wont, etcc. the truck is not meant to handle towing that much wieght plain and simple.
It's only a Jeep... They're lighter than Rangers.

The Ranger can handle plenty of weight, the trans is the only thing that is questionable. He'll be close to it's limit, and should drive pretty conservatively but it should do allright.

But you may have some point to your statement as he did not actually say what KIND of Jeep. But most of us (even me) have been assuming it's of the CJ/YJ/TJ variety. Now if it's something like say... a Gladiator/M715, that'd be a problem.

Irreguardless, 07rangersport and myself are the only people who actually answered this guys question.

Any Class III/IV hitch will do well from any reputable manufacturer.

02_xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
It's only a Jeep... They're lighter than Rangers.

The Ranger can handle plenty of weight, the trans is the only thing that is questionable. He'll be close to it's limit, and should drive pretty conservatively but it should do allright.

But you may have some point to your statement as he did not actually say what KIND of Jeep. But most of us (even me) have been assuming it's of the CJ/YJ/TJ variety. Now if it's something like say... a Gladiator/M715, that'd be a problem.

Irreguardless, 07rangersport and myself are the only people who actually answered this guys question.

Any Class III/IV hitch will do well from any reputable manufacturer.
you did answer it but it doesnt matter how good the hitch is, if the truck doesnt have the capabilities to pull and stop it it doesnt matter. and thats something else to think about is stopping it. the brakes are also a thing to take into consideration. plus the jeep may not be heavy but if hes talkin about "serious" offroading with it all the components will add up and make it heavy....

redrider11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all the feed back! im thinking of an older CJ or something along those lines. I currently have 4.10 gears in the truck. My worry was that went the jeep drove onto the trailer it would mess something up because ive seen jeeps drive onto trailers before and it looked rough. I didnt even think about the tranny. :icon_idea: Its an auto :annoyed:. From what i've read ill try and talk my dad into letting me use his 5.4L V8 F-150:icon_hornsup:

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i say get trailer brakes and a good class 3/4 hitch and call it good... i wouldnt sweat it.

with the 4.0 and 4.10's, you'll be FINE

dieseltweaker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i just hauled a load of firewood today. and only a bed full and my truck was a total turd. i put a huge trans cooler on and my trans still went to 210 up the mtn and i had to pull the mtn at 3000 rpm. any hill is a mission. unless u are going to travel only on flat land i dont recomend it. even if u have 4.0

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what gears do you have in your 94? probably 3.27s my truck sucked ass when i would haul a cord of firewood my truck bed bull and 4x8 trailer full. but i swapped to 3.73 gears and it made a huge difference. also you are comparing a ohv motor to a sohc motor. the sohc makes a more power.

your comparing apples to oranges

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
If the tow limit says 5600# then get a good hitch, brake control, and trailer with brakes and tow away. Stay under the tow limit and you will not be breaking any laws. The hitch will not 'rip off' unless it's not put on correctly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals