• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to tell if a fuel pressure regulator is bad?

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I just replaced and repaired my engine and swapped out my transmission at the same time for a newer one. I have a problem however. Before I pulled the motor it idled kind of wacky, like up and down on the rpm's. I thought it was a tune-up issue because I had'nt changed the plugs and wires in a while but after I got the whole engine cleaned up with new gaskets and seals and then tuned it up and put it back in, it's doing the same thing.............rpm's kind of up then down. Erratic!

It's not like the IAC valve, it's more like it lopes and idles erratically. I feel no blow by at the exhaust either. The PVC valve is new, the air filter is good, and as far as I know the head gasket does'nt appear to be leaking from what I have seen. The fuel pump and fuel filter is also new. The only other things I can think of is the fuel pressure regulator or worn camshaft lobes, which I hope it is'nt. The engine does have over 200,000 miles on it but I've had it for the last 150,000 or so of those miles and have regularly maintained it.

I know these engines can go for a long time if taken care of and not abused but I'm totally stumped here guys. Now that I've taken care of all the leaks this engine had can someone point me on where to look? Thanks.

EDIT: By the way, it only does this at idle. After idle it's fine.

Allen

zamos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A surging idle is generally caused by either the IAC ( may need to be reset ) or un-metered air is entering the engine - maybe a vacuum leak or intake gasket

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
If you pull the vacuum line off the FPR, it will usually have raw fuel in it if bad.

It does not always do this, but most of the time it will.

However, the FPR will usually make it hard to start once it's been run.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, that's not it I think?

The idle problem continues. I think maybe I'll do a fuel pressure and/or compression test/check.

Allen

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
do you have a vacuum gauge to check the vacuum the engine is pulling? if youre below 18-20 then you have a vacuum leak somewhere...

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK guys, problem solved!

I don't know what fixed it other then maybe installing a new tailshaft on my transmission for the vehicle speed sensor, replacing the original lower radiator hose that was leaking a little coolant, or just not driving it long enough after the engine tranny swap thing.

It's running as good as it ever has right now! I'm glad I took my time putting it back together right! I love it again!

I have only "ONE" problem now and that's my power steering pump not working right at lower engine rpm's. I think I need to get some water out of it though.

After that though, this is like a new truck again! Thanks guys!

Allen

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Try flushing the power steering pump with some fresh fluid and some conditioner. When you say it's not working right at lower rpms, what exactly is happening?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals