• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ideas to repair a door panel

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Last edited:

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
find one for manual windows and then cut it up to fill the hole, or just go ahead and glass in the hole and paint to match. there are louvers in the position for the speaker grill, but I would try to find a manual door panel to make the the patch. Too bad I trashed my old ones when I installed the electric stuff. Just threw them out last year!

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sorry, I think it's dead. That one will probably be replace rather than repair. Do you just need a driver door panel? I'm sure some people on here hit the yards fairly often, maybe they could help you locate one.

The pull-a-part here in GA lists door panels at less than $20, but I imagine the shipping costs would be prohibitive. Unfortunately, I only rarely get a free weekend to go there.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
the only ones man or electric around here they want between $175 to $225.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
however was thinking about customizing it and making passenger side match using some kind of metal speaker grill... what do you think?

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'd just pull the speaker(s) and add a grill on each opening...time will take of it if you keep looking and start putting some $$ back.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Looks like you need some stupid glue. It's for when someone does something stupid, like cut a hole in your door.

I could keep an eye out the next time I am at the yard, they want either $8 or $25, some of the names on their list are confusing. Shipping it to Arizona might get expensive though.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'd just pull the speaker(s) and add a grill on each opening...time will take of it if you keep looking and start putting some $$ back.

no room when door is closed for grill there is only about 1/4 inch between dash and door panel

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I would replace the door panel, but since they are quite costly where you live, I would create a cloth speaker grille. Find some grey cloth that matches the door. get a peice of metal that will cover the speaker, and cut it into an oval shape that covers the speaker and bend it to fit the contours of the door panel. cut or drill holes in the metal so that the sound can come through but it leaves a rigid frame over the speaker so you don't accidentally bump or damage the speaker. to attach it, you can go a a little extra and do it so that the screws are hidden or just use screws that go through it and you can see the heads

for hidden screws, get a few flat cone shaped head machine screws, and drill holes in the metal frame and matching holes int he door panel. make sure to indent the holes on the metal so the screws are flush with it and jb weld the screws in place. then wrap the cloth around it and glue it to the metal frame. put the covers on andfasten them in place with nuts

or you can just cover the metal with the cloth and drill the holes for the screws and fasten it to the door panel that way.

AJ

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hate it when people hack holes in the interior.

Get the correct sized speakers for the factory locations. Geez.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Another way to attach the above mentioned fabricated sheetmetal and fabric speaker covers... make some tabs when cutting out the metal for the speakers so you can bend them back around the plastic part of the door panel. no screws needed.

AJ

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would replace the door panel, but since they are quite costly where you live, I would create a cloth speaker grille. Find some grey cloth that matches the door. get a peice of metal that will cover the speaker, and cut it into an oval shape that covers the speaker and bend it to fit the contours of the door panel. cut or drill holes in the metal so that the sound can come through but it leaves a rigid frame over the speaker so you don't accidentally bump or damage the speaker. to attach it, you can go a a little extra and do it so that the screws are hidden or just use screws that go through it and you can see the heads

for hidden screws, get a few flat cone shaped head machine screws, and drill holes in the metal frame and matching holes int he door panel. make sure to indent the holes on the metal so the screws are flush with it and jb weld the screws in place. then wrap the cloth around it and glue it to the metal frame. put the covers on andfasten them in place with nuts

or you can just cover the metal with the cloth and drill the holes for the screws and fasten it to the door panel that way.

AJ
yes thought about metal and cloth cover and don't really mind a custom look but will have to make passenger side match if i go this route.

best idea i have seen though besides replace door panel. also it will be getting the 5x7s back. also apparently all elec door panels are a rarity because most rangers have crank windows:annoyed:

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Manual windows were an attraction, after yrs of messing around with electric windows. When I replaced the radio, I noticed that there were only 2 wires going to the door. :D

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Manual windows were an attraction, after yrs of messing around with electric windows. When I replaced the radio, I noticed that there were only 2 wires going to the door. :D

this truck just had them and they work so i have no reason to fix:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals