• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

diesel

das ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 ford range
Transmission
Manual
im new at this and still trying to make my way around so if you get pissed off owell. i was thinking one day about the benifits of haveing a v8 diesel under the hood but i don't have the money or an engine jack to do so. so i wounder if it is in reach to convert my existing engine into a diesel, and if so what will it take and what is the ups and downs?:icon_confused:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah... probably not gonna happen... GM tried that with the 350 or something... didn;t turn out well at all! You would need a whole new strengthened block, heads, pistons, crank... you would pour probably a good $20 thousand into the ranger engine and about 20 thousand in labor (or labor hours if you did it yourself) by swapping in a diesel v8.

You would gain some gas mileage I assume from it, and after about 10 years of driving atleast 20,000 miles a year it might pay itself off. other then that you couldn't tow much more then a mildly more then stock ranger without upgrading the chassis...

if you want to check out a cool diesel ranger I suggest either BobbyWalter (I think thats his name? with a 6.5L in his ranger) or Dalipont (sp?) who stuck a 6.0L powerstroke and uses it as a drag truck, he got a link in the TOTM catagory.

das ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 ford range
Transmission
Manual
well then wich would be easer to install and have working, a 4.0l v6, 5 0r 6 something liter deisel, or poor money into the engine i have already? just to let every one know im turning this into a offroad truck in i could use some extra torque but diesel engines could be hard to install.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
You never even told us which engine you have...

das ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 ford range
Transmission
Manual
ok ive got a 2.3l 4-cyl engine with five speed forward manual transmision. i guess im going to put a new engine in it so what engine do i get that will be easy to install and cheap enough. and i prefer if it could hook up to the trans. i already have.

mini274

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A turbo coupe motor will get you around the 210 hp range more with simple upgrades they would get you the tq and hp you want with the least amount of money.... it depends on wat you want to do mostly... the tc motor is a 2.3 turbo motor that has the most bang for the buck imo... but others on here might say different... and aa plus with the right tune youll get good gas mileage too

Last edited:

tempforce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
why don't you install the ih 2.8 liter turbo diesel, the ranger and range rovers use, in south america and europe?

the motor is made in brazil, by i-h - navstar.
they are averaging 40 mpg.

you would have to upgrade your front springs as the diesel weighs a bunch more than your gas engine.

Last edited:

das ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 ford range
Transmission
Manual
were do i get one? will it hook up to my transmision? does it involve alot of wires?

tempforce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
why don't you install the ih 2.8 liter turbo diesel, the ranger and range rovers use, in south america and europe?

the motor is made in brazil by i-h - navstar.
they are averaging 40 mpg.

you would have to upgrade your front springs as the diesel weighs a bunch more than your gas engine.

contact a recycler, ie wrecking yard, they may have connections with a parts importer. or contact ih/navstart brazil, through the web page...

another option is to get a vw diesel and using a adaptor mount it to your clutch.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah... probably not gonna happen... GM tried that with the 350 or something... didn;t turn out well at all!
The International 6.9/7.3 is a converted gas motor if you want to look at it that way. They did it the same way as GM did--use the basic design of the gasser, but re-design everything. Neither actually converted a gasoline engine to run on diesel fuel. The International guys got it right. The GM guys got it pretty nearly right, but I think it was GM corporate that made the engine fail--even though they sold over a million of them. In 1978 there was no distribution for diesel fuel for passenger vehicles. The average person was duped into thinking owning a luxury diesel-powered car was the same as a gas car--just fill it up and drive. GM didn't even have a water seperator installed, and with a half-assed fuel distribution, given the fact that diesel and water are similar weights, pumping water into your tank was a common problem. The other problems with the engines (there were 3--a 350 V8, a 260 V8, a 260 V6) were easily correctable, and in the case of the V6, was a good engine. Rushing to production in an effort to get the drop on the other manufacturers caused things to be built before being adequately tested and the problems shaken out.

The 6.2 wasn't really the cure for the Olds-based diesel, it was designed from ground up for trucks. It was in service for 4 years alongside the Olds engine. The Olds-based diesel engine was offered in 1/2-ton 2wd trucks for a couple of years, actually. To GM's credit, they had the balls to build full-size cars with diesel engines, and they built and sold a lot of them--over a million. The one-millionth Cummins-powered Ram rolled off the line last year.

The 6.2/6.5 is a good choice for a Ranger because it is cheap, still in production after 30 years, accepts any GM transmission, weighs a manageable 760#, and responds well to turbocharging. You can install a 150hp $500 6.2 pulled from an Army Humvee off of EBay, and later, when your finances improve...the sky is the limit.

Check out Bobby's installation.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35931

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Lets be honest, what is your skill level? Swapping to a different motor is not changing your oil. I think the easiest way to gain the power you want is to swap in a 2.3L turbocoupe engine (or any factory 2.3t). Use the factory IHI turbo as they spool up very quick for off-road torque. This will bolt to your current 93's transmission and you can reuse all of the engine accessories. If you cannot do this swap, there is NO WAY you would be able to do a V8 swap or a one-off diesel engine swap. Even if you did stuff a torque hungry diesel into a ranger, you would still have a ranger frame. My 302 at peak torque would fight the stock frame. I ended up boxing the frame up and adding 2" DOM tubing for cross bracing. I can't imagine what is needed for a diesel that weighs over 2 times the weight of a small block. lol

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I don't know ..... a GM diesel swap is so simple a geico caveman can do it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lets be honest, what is your skill level? Swapping to a different motor is not changing your oil. I think the easiest way to gain the power you want is to swap in a 2.3L turbocoupe engine (or any factory 2.3t). Use the factory IHI turbo as they spool up very quick for off-road torque. This will bolt to your current 93's transmission and you can reuse all of the engine accessories. If you cannot do this swap, there is NO WAY you would be able to do a V8 swap or a one-off diesel engine swap. Even if you did stuff a torque hungry diesel into a ranger, you would still have a ranger frame. My 302 at peak torque would fight the stock frame. I ended up boxing the frame up and adding 2" DOM tubing for cross bracing. I can't imagine what is needed for a diesel that weighs over 2 times the weight of a small block. lol
I agree, if you can't handle a swap where the engine bolts in you won't be any better at replacing all the juicy parts of the powertrain.

I have never done a V8 diesel swap, but I would have to think my gas V8 that plugged in the existing ignition system, fuel system and I reused all the accessories was simpler... and it still took some head scratching to do.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals