• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

conversion 2wd to 4wd 97 ranger

schr9091

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 97 2.3 auto with a long bed...no rust on truck...i want to make it a solid front axle coil spring which is what i have now 5 speed stick 4.56 gears lifted enough to run 33s and a manual transfer case...any help on which front rear,trans , and transfer case to use..or a good donor vehicle i should get..heard about using a front rear from a jeep..idk any thoughts would help

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Sas on a 2wd frame is pretty easy. On axles you have a couple choices. But it depends if you want to run the same wheels. A jeep dana 30 front swap can be done, and has been done, this will keep your current lug pattern the same, but is a weaker axle than the stock ford dana 35 front axle. Dana 44 from a wagoneer, early bronco or full size truck or bronco. All have been used under rangers. If you want to stay ranger width, waggy (6 lug) or EB axles (big 5 lug) are your choices. Full width would be big 5 lug. Rear axle choices are an explorer 8.8 for stock width, small 5 lug ranger pattern. Big 5 lug pattern ranger width would be a narrowed 8.8 from a full size, or EB 9". Full width is 9" or 8.8" from a full size truck. It all depends on what you plan to do with this truck, how big of a tire you plan to go (max you think you would go, even down the road), and how hard core you want to get...

SVT

schr9091

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i want to go with the most direct bolt in parts i want a solid front axle a manual transfer case with a 4 or 5 speed stick so what would you recommend i found an 1988 ranger for some parts i do plan on running 33 tires so i guess i need .410 or .456 gears

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
4.56 for sure for a 4 banger w/33s. If I was you I'd keep axle width stock, nice and narrow for trails!

You'll be able to get away with a dana 30 but as mentioned it'll be weaker. Id get a d44 from a wagoneer then just have a different lug pattern. Then for the spare id just get one of the multi pattern wheels. Should work out just fine.

Last edited:

97rriding

Reaction score
How did the conversion go? I want to do the same thing. I have a 93 4x4 3l and I want to swap the front axle and t-case into my 97 2.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals