• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 ranger, looking to upgrade front brakes

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
fyi on the Crown Vic rotors, for the 12.44" on a 98 anyway....
on the rotor there is a step at the edge of the wheel mounting surface.
that step lines up with the center of the outer ridge on the mounting surface of a 16" factory wheel.
that means there is very little wheel surface area mating against the rotor. the rotor should be machined to eliminate the step for full wheel to rotor contact.

I am using a genuine Ford rotor purchased about 12 years ago for this data. maybe the newer ones eliminated that step, I don't know.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
pjtoledo:

You are saying that there is a 3rd bracket out there in '04+ 4x4 with the 305mm rotors? 'course as luck would have it, there is nothing that new at the local wreckers; will need to drop by the local autoparts store with my caliper...

I'm up there with you - carbs, points & condenser, manual steering and drums on all 4 corners (the '68 Mercury F-100 4x4 which I learned to drive on). But we're talking rear drums here, not fronts..

And I will cut you a little slack on the wet performance. But if you are fading finned Aerostar rear drums, you were probably pushing things. :) And I'm not sure the solid Explorer rear rotor wouldn't be fading just as much in same circumstance - with less than 1/2" of metal, there isn't that much thermal capacity there either.

Are you running Crown Vic rotors on one of your Rangers?

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
I did some more digging on the spindle selection issue...I came across this spindle on ebay, this is for the 2wd torsion bar front suspension (Ranger Edge), I take it that the 11 1/4" rotor calipers/brackets brakes were used with this spindle & this item is not *quite* usable with the coil spring simple hoop shaped upper control arm?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
55trucker:

The 11 1/4" rotor calipers/brackets brakes that were used with that spindle interchange exactly with the 11 1/4" rotor calipers/brackets coil spring brakes but that is no help for you with your 10 1/4" rotor calipers/brackets brakes.

pjtoledo:

I misread your post - you replaced the '00 knuckles with '04 ones to get 12" rotors.

Ya, the caliper/brake bracket is same from '98-'12. I haven't won yet...

That's a lot of machining on the Crown Vic rotor to make the mounting surface flat...

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
You can get a very good improvement in brake performance by going to a better friction compound. My Ranger was not giving me the braking performance I needed for towing when I bought it new. I switched to Raybestos Super Stop front pads and it helped a lot.
The problem was they were doing so much more of the stopping that they dusted very bad. I then switched the rear shoes to Super Stop also. The braking balance came back and the dusting became minimal. The stopping power also improved even more. I am very happy with this upgrade.
Raybestos eventually stopped making the Super Stop compound and I searched for a replacement. I ended up selecting Akebono brake pads. I don't remember the exact version I use but they are as good and the Super Stop pads and seem to be a little more durable.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I did some more digging on the spindle selection issue...I came across this spindle on ebay, this is for the 2wd torsion bar front suspension (Ranger Edge), I take it that the 11 1/4" rotor calipers/brackets brakes were used with this spindle & this item is not *quite* usable with the coil spring simple hoop shaped upper control arm?

its the pinch hole at the top that is the bug-a-boo

torsion bar knuckles have a larger hole than the coil spring knuckles.
if you use the torsion bar style upper control arms (to get the larger ball joint that matches the hole) that pushes the top way out beyond the camber adjustment range.

there are 2 versions of that knuckle...

2001 Sport trac that has 12" rotors

Ranger & Explorers that have 11.25" rotors

the holes are the difference, they are moved out 3/8"

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
by the way, compared to a 4x4 knuckle, that one pictured has about a 1/2" drop. the stub is higher in the knuckle.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
pjtoledo:

You are saying that there is a 3rd bracket out there in '04+ 4x4 with the 305mm rotors? 'course as luck would have it, there is nothing that new at the local wreckers; will need to drop by the local autoparts store with my caliper...

I'm up there with you - carbs, points & condenser, manual steering and drums on all 4 corners (the '68 Mercury F-100 4x4 which I learned to drive on). But we're talking rear drums here, not fronts..

And I will cut you a little slack on the wet performance. But if you are fading finned Aerostar rear drums, you were probably pushing things. :) And I'm not sure the solid Explorer rear rotor wouldn't be fading just as much in same circumstance - with less than 1/2" of metal, there isn't that much thermal capacity there either.

Are you running Crown Vic rotors on one of your Rangers?
no, I bought that new one years ago in hope of finding a way to use it.

mooty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So if I'm following this thread correctly, there are 11.25" rotors available for similarly yeared 2wd/coil spring models?

I'm thinking I've got 10.25" rotors, is it possible to upgrade?

Sent from my SCH-I545PP using Tapatalk

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
its the pinch hole at the top that is the bug-a-boo

torsion bar knuckles have a larger hole than the coil spring knuckles.
if you use the torsion bar style upper control arms (to get the larger ball joint that matches the hole) that pushes the top way out beyond the camber adjustment range.
Hmmmmmmmm.......so if one were to machine up a sleeve to press down into the top of the knuckle so that the smaller dia ball joint is tight when the pinch bolt is applied the geometry for the front wheel will be right on?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Hmmmmmmmm.......so if one were to machine up a sleeve to press down into the top of the knuckle so that the smaller dia ball joint is tight when the pinch bolt is applied the geometry for the front wheel will be right on?

I would like to say yes, but attempting it would give a better answer.
by the way, the top pinch bolt is on opposite sides on the coil vs torsion knuckles. that may complicate the swap by moving the hole a bit.

the proposed reducing sleeve would need to be off-set to keep the pinch bolt in contact with the groove in the ball stud.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3

what year are those knuckles?

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
that knuckle would be for a 11.25" rotor. only the Sport-Trac had 12" for those years.

Last edited:

BUGNUT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So if I'm following this thread correctly, there are 11.25" rotors available for similarly yeared 2wd/coil spring models?

I'm thinking I've got 10.25" rotors, is it possible to upgrade?

Sent from my SCH-I545PP using Tapatalk
I've also been following his thread. I posted the exact question and received a reply that the 11.25 rotors are the largest rotors to fit and I was at the end of the upgrade. I have 10.25 rotors and want to upgrade to the 11.25 rotors. Still waiting for an answer. Anyone?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals