• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My Ranger 5 speed has no sweet spot

Alby1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an '09 Ranger 2.3 4cyl 5speed w only 18,000mi on it. I never down shift, only if there is signifigant weight in the back. I have noticed that when trying to shift this tranny w o using clutch,it seems like no matter what RPM its at, there is no sweet spot. It always locks me out of the next gear untill the RPMs have dropped a little. Anyone else expierence this w thiers or have any input?

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I like my Ranger and never would abuse her like that.

Alby1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its not abuse! If u can time it right, find the sweet spot while shifting when the gears are lined up right u do not need the clutch at all. Mine does not grind, just behaves diff from others ive driven. There seems to be no sweet spot at any RPM where it will go right in w o RPMs having to drop a bit.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
As a teenager, I speedshifted on occasion. Then I grew up and didn't do it anymore and don't really know why. My clutch leg still works and my mind and reflexes are still good enough to throw that shifter around...

I still like to wind up the little 3.0 to shift and wouldn't like losing those hard-earned RPM's. To each his own!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When upshifting I have never been able to shift without letting rpms drop, and that can take a little time. When downshifting I have been able to do the shift immediately by blipping the throttle, but not reliably. I've given up doing that because I can't afford to rebuild a trans on my daily driver. If I had lots of money to invest into transmissions then I would practice a lot more "because racing".

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
its a wide ratio tranny. that means its farther between the RPMs for each gear compared to a close ratio tranny.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Its not abuse!
Actually it is. The M5OD wasn't designed to be speed shifted like that, and it doesn't like it, and according to Ford it is abuse and is grounds for voiding the warranty on the transmission.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its not abuse! If u can time it right, find the sweet spot while shifting when the gears are lined up right u do not need the clutch at all. Mine does not grind, just behaves diff from others ive driven. There seems to be no sweet spot at any RPM where it will go right in w o RPMs having to drop a bit.
I agree with adsm08, it is abuse

M5OD is a full synchro transmission, even Reverse has synchro.

You certainly can shift it without the clutch by matching input and output shaft RPMs, but it won't do it as fast as using the clutch.

All the "gears" are meshed together all the time, and all the "gears" are connected to the input shaft, what you are shifting is the Dog Gears that are connected to the output shaft.
When you select a "gear" you are pushing the Dog gear into that "gear" to force it to spin at the same speed(RPM) as the output shaft, synchros are between Dog Gears and "gears" they are a softer metal so allow Dog gear to start spinning the "gear" to match RPMs without Grinding noise.
The "gear" is spinning at input shaft speed, the Dog gear at output shaft speed, these have to RPM match for the Dog Gear to engage the "gear" selected
With Clutch pedal down the input shaft speed is free to speed up or slow down to allow output shaft/Dog gear speed to be matched
With clutch pedal up then YOU have to speedup or slow down the input shaft speed using the throttle

On older transmissions RPM matching was easier but transmissions also wore out faster, using or not using the clutch

And yes, closer ratios would obviously be faster to match RPMs than wider

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
On a tangent, is there any way I can "fix" the m5od to shift quicker? Such as remove every second tooth on certain gears?

I'll start a new thread.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals