• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Parking Brake Lever Location

nobbyv

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I replaced all of the parking brake cables on my '97 w/ 9" drums. Replacing the cables was easy, but I made one cardinal sin: I removed all the drum hardware from both sides at the same time, and didn't take a picture. Now I'm having trouble figuring out how the parking brake lever sits inside. The parking brake link runs from the primary shoe to the lever, but is the lever supposed to "attach" anywhere else (besides the parking brake cable, obviously). When I activate the parking brake, the cable is retracting, but not much else is happening, so I think I missed an attachment point. Is the lever supposed to somehow also fit into a slot on the secondary shoe?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Best picture I found of this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/mattschenk/Ranger/brake3a.jpg

The A on the right arrow is next to the attachment point of the E-brake lever, "U" pin is pried open to release lever from old shoe and then it is installed on new shoe and you use a pair of pliers to squeeze U-pin back to hold it in place.

When e-brake is applied the lever is pulled towards the center of drum and pushes on the e-brake support arm(slotted metal bar that runs between the shoes just under the slave), that pushes the primary shoe against the drum.

The pivot point is the attachment to the secondary shoe

Another picture here of the whole system: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69137&stc=1&d=1360612699

Also just as a "heads up", the star wheels are different, one side has left handed threads the other side right handed.
They have to be on the correct side.
When e-brake is applied the star wheel should turn to tighten/expand the brake shoes

Last edited:

nobbyv

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ron,
Thanks again for the reply (you were helping me in the 4-cyl forum). I should have mentioned: I have the 9" drums, which appear to be pretty rare. They don't actually look like the pics you posted. They look like the ones in this thread:
http://www.ranger-forums.com/drivetrain-tech-37/replacing-ranger-rear-brakes-67503/

To the point, there is no U-pin used at all, nor any kind of "protrusion" on the parking brake lever itself that would stick through the show to accept the U-pin.

There are a ton of great pics in the thread I posted, but unfortunately none of them show what I need.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In the first picture in that thread you can see the "hook" on the e-brake lever in the slot on the secondary shoe, top left

nobbyv

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
In the first picture in that thread you can see the "hook" on the e-brake lever in the slot on the secondary shoe, top left
Ron,
Sorry for the late reply; just got the chance to look at this again today. You were exactly right; I'd missed the "hook" on the lever fitting into the slot on the shoe. Working like a champ now. Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good Work :icon_thumby:

Thanks for the update

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals