• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

factory switch for aftermarket PIAAs

corrond56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am trying to use a factory switch to power my PIAAs. I am having more trouble than I thought trying to get this wired. I grounded my relay for the PIAAs under the hood so the only wire I have coming from it to the switch is the one that should supply it power. My switch is grounded through the ground that came with the factory switch and the power to the switch is being supplied through the "hot when headlamps are on" supply. In theory from what I can tell everything should be working but it isn't for some reason. Can anyone help me with this??

Quartermile

Why is the switch grounded? You should have power in and power out, the only reason for a switch to be grounded is if it has a light in the switch, check to see if you are terminating the poles of the switch to the correct area

corrond56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the switch is grounded because the switch illuminates at night and when the fog lights are on there is and indicator light.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Here is a wiring diagram to wire up the factory switch to auxiliary lights.

corrond56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so basically the LB/BK is my hot output to the relay and then the TN/OR is my input when the lights are on.... This is the way I thought I had it. I will double check my wiring.

corrond56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well I went by the wiring diagram and for some unknown reason I still cannot get this to work. There has to be something in the switch f'ing this up. I know my relay for the PIAAs is good because the come on when they are straight wired. I think I am just gonna use a toggle switch for them. I'm getting fed up.

corrond56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok so I just thought of something on the way home. The guy at the junkyard said those switches are push to ground, not push to power. So what if I ran my relay hot input to a constant and then ran the relay ground to the switch in place of where the hot is supposed to be? On the LB/Bk. this deserves testing in the near future...

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
ok so I just thought of something on the way home. The guy at the junkyard said those switches are push to ground, not push to power. So what if I ran my relay hot input to a constant and then ran the relay ground to the switch in place of where the hot is supposed to be? On the LB/Bk. this deserves testing in the near future...
That would work.

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
did your truck not come with fog lights? i'm guessing not since youre going through all this work to wire the lights, when you could just have used the stock harness.

corrond56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
doyouquaxu, yes my truck did come with factory foglights. I could have very easily tapped into the stock harness and had the PIAAs come on when the factory fog lamps were on but that was not what I wanted. I was going after the ability to operate them independtly while maintaining the factory look (as few aftermarket switches as possible.) So on my dash I have two factory fog light switches instead of the normal one. To the average person it looks stock.

99_3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.GO!
Transmission
Automatic
That's a pretty clean looking setup. Me likey!

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you went by the wiring diagram I posted you would have know that it was a switched ground and not a switched 12v.

corrond56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
mjonesjr, I was looking at which wire from the relay got connected to the switch and at what pin. I completely overlooked the fact that it was a ground wire:damnit1:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals