• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ok, new lighting idea...

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Here's what I'm thinking, some KC 6x2 fogs hanging from the bumper, a light bar on the roof of the truck with 4 KC 6x9 driving and of course keeping the Rally 800 directionals in the front.

What I'm looking at:
Fogs

Light Bar on Roof I'm still trying to figure out why it cost $141.00/pair and just $128.00/pair purchased individually.

The truck it would be going on, I haven't found anyone offering the light bar for the roof, I'll check with the offroad folks that did my lift. I seem to recall they said they could do fabrication work. What do y'all think?

Last edited:

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you expect to run all those at once, Damn good battery and probably high output Alt.

All so so add relays,switches and good wire.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
thats gonna look awesome and deff gonna provide good lightning
i would install each set with an individual relay and fuse.
thats how i installed mine

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, those are on my list but that's further down the line at this point LOL. Thank both of you for reminding me to think it all the way through!

Edit: Speaking of battery's I'm figuring running two in parallel with a High output Alt. Any suggestions there? I hate being a spoony but what the hell LOL!

Last edited:

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
deff gonna provide good lightning
I guess I haven't explain what my logic is and your response is as good as any to begin.

We get some fog here, not particularly a lot, but we get it. As I'm set now I can't use my directionals when there is fog. I could however install the amber fogs and hang them from my bumper and wire them into the factory fog lights.

The front Rally's provide a great directional beam about 50' in front of the truck, really lights up obstacles nicely. I'm thinking the driving lights on the bar would finish the job by lighting up the the rest with a bazillion candle watts, so intense that space shuttles would be falling out of the sky as I drove down the trails LOL.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2 AGM size 34 or 27 in the bed with a isolator under the hood.
That way you can sepperate the load.One battery runs the truck and the other runs the lights and winch.
Thats the way I have my truck set up.
AGM 34=$160 each
AGM 27=$190 each

Last edited:

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2 AGM size 34 or 27 in the bed with a isolator under the hood.
In parallel I'm assuming LOL. Any recommendations for an alternator to drive all this?

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That would look pretty sweet. Ever thought about a small roof rack on the top instead of a light bar? Oh and when it comes to the AGM batteries, dont waste your time with Optima. I have heard nothing but good things about the DieHard Platinum AGM batteries though so might look into those when the time comes.

And is that a V1 mounted in the windshield?

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you run in parallel you wont need the isolator.I have a switch that will link both together if I need to.

I would look for something in the 160 amp or above.Being you have the winch and you want to run extra lights,You may not think you will run all of that at once but sooner or later you may need to it would be nice to plan ahead just for that.

Your truck is a little to new for me to help you on what is availible as far as Alt.s go for a bolt in app.

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
That would look pretty sweet. Ever thought about a small roof rack on the top instead of a light bar?
I have seen the small roof racks and I don't think that's what I'm looking for, but thanks for the suggestion.

And is that a V1 mounted in the windshield?
Yes, it's a V1. Since the pic was taken I have hard wired it so the wire isn't so obvious. I do however try to keep it tucked as close as I can under the mirror to keep people from hanging behind me.

If you run in parallel you wont need the isolator.I have a switch that will link both together if I need to.

I would look for something in the 160 amp or above.Being you have the winch and you want to run extra lights,You may not think you will run all of that at once but sooner or later you may need to it would be nice to plan ahead just for that.

Your truck is a little to new for me to help you on what is availible as far as Alt.s go for a bolt in app.
Good info there bud. I'm not looking for specifics, I can do the homework as to what kind of amperage I may need. You are 100% correct. The least desirable time I want to find out that I have insufficient amperage is when I need my lights and winch. Thanks for the suggestion!

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here is a link to my install of the 2 battery isolator set up and no its still not finished lol.
http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51484

My 85 is kind of a never ending project, it keeps me sane.I bought the 81 F-100 Ranger as my DD and had to set aside the 85 for the rest of the fall to work on it......the 85 takes a nap every winter..lol.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with if you decide to go the Dual Battery route.....will help all I can.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
What Kind of 6x9 are you going to run? I really reccomend getting atleast 2 of the long ranges! I got 2 5x7 long ranges and I litterally light up like a 1/2 mile ahead of me. I swapped the other two to flood lenses and aimed them to the side of moose spotting and those work great tooo.

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
What Kind of 6x9 are you going to run? I really reccomend getting atleast 2 of the long ranges! I got 2 5x7 long ranges and I litterally light up like a 1/2 mile ahead of me. I swapped the other two to flood lenses and aimed them to the side of moose spotting and those work great tooo.
Well, to be honest I'm now thinking more along the lines of the Rally 800 8" driving lights instead of the 6x9s. The 8's on the front bar are long ranges, the 4 on the roof will be driving lights.

I think that would look great, and keep the rally 800 consistent for the off-road lighting.

Something like this:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ahhh ok. well I would reccomend putting the long ranges up top for a better angle maybe, and 2 of the driving lights up front.

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ahhh ok. well I would reccomend putting the long ranges up top for a better angle maybe, and 2 of the driving lights up front.
Hell, it's still early in the planning phase. I may go directional all the way around, that's what the linked pic from Offroad-Web.com states this guy has on his. I dunno though, he's a desert runner and I'm more of a light trail runner. I'm happy to hear from folks that trail run, are driving lights of use or are directional more valuable?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals