• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broken Front Parking Brake Cable

jimmy327

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L I4
Transmission
Manual
So I pull into the driveway tonight after work and I step on the parking brake. The cable snaps and the pedal goes to the floor.

Now I'm in a mess. The Haynes manual just says, remove the cable from the pedal. Every single thing that I read says to put a pin in the pedal or something, which is great if there is still pressure on the cable, but now that the cable has snapped, the self-adjuster "self-adjusted" and now I can't figure out how to get the end of the cable off the pedal.

Can anyone PLEASE help me out.

2001 Ford Ranger 2WD
2.5L I4
5-speed Manual
broken brake cable :(

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I pull into the driveway tonight after work and I step on the parking brake. The cable snaps and the pedal goes to the floor.

Now I'm in a mess. The Haynes manual just says, remove the cable from the pedal. Every single thing that I read says to put a pin in the pedal or something, which is great if there is still pressure on the cable, but now that the cable has snapped, the self-adjuster "self-adjusted" and now I can't figure out how to get the end of the cable off the pedal.

2001 Ford Ranger 2WD
2.5L I4
5-speed Manual
i replaced my left rear cable last night.......I think you are over analyzing it......if the cable is broken replace the new cable relase the parking brake.....then when you go to connect the 2 cables underneath you should just be able to pull on both of them enough to slip the cable into the metal holder......get someone to help you..........I was able to do it myself..did the whole thing in less than a half hour and i had to pull the drum off

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

2001 Ford Ranger 2WD
2.5L I4
5-speed Manual
cant you release the lever and then hold the pedal up to access it?

jimmy327

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L I4
Transmission
Manual
confusion

No, see the problem is it's the FRONT cable that broke, inside the cab.

The cable penetrates through the floorboard, then up and over a pulley and down into a slot of sorts where it connects to the pedal.

The self-adjusting mechanism is spring assisted. As slack in the cable appears, the spring pulls the piece the cable connects to back. There is a small stop on a gear that keeps it from coming back forward.

The cable snapped about 3" inside the cab, right at the top of the pulley guide. when it did, the spring pulled the self-adjuster all the way back, so now the end of the cable that slides into the slot is trapped and I can't figure out how to get that arm back forward. the gear and spring are holding it in place. That is why you have to put the pin in before releasing tension on the cable; if you don't, the self adjuster will roll all the way back and trap the end of your cable.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Can you unbolt thewhole mechaism?

TRH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'89
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Remove the whole mechanism (Yeah, it's a bitch with the wiring and stuff in the way typically), or cut the cable end off with some good sharp dykes and a lot of cussin'.

Sorry, that's how it is.

jimmy327

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L I4
Transmission
Manual
bad news

Did some more digging and found out why i can't get the cable loose....

it doesn't come loose. The whole assembly is one piece. Can't order just the cable, and can't even order the assembly except from Ford. $158

what a day...

TRH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'89
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Really? Why can I find the front cable for that truck from Raybestos and Wagner then, for about $20? Something's fuzzy here..
You can get them from RockAuto, the P/Ns are

Wagner - BC141728 (Wagner #F141728)
Raybestos - BC95408 -- this is probably your best bet and the easiest to get.
Dorman - C660174 (Covers #s: 1F6044150, 3L5Z2853AA, 4L5Z2853AA, F87Z2853AA, ZZP044150)

NAPA lists them as.. UP 95408, and another as UP 95972 -- Raybestos says that's for a stripped chassis, front cable. Good luck!

Take the assembly out, then figure out how to remove and install the cable BEFORE you put it back in. And double check the P/Ns, I pulled them off the invoice magic box at work, but they might be different by wheelbase like rear cables are. My 89 is a little simpler.
You can also CALL a Ford dealer, get the OEM part number for the cable or assembly. Then you have a P/N to ask for an interchange to.

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did some more digging and found out why i can't get the cable loose....

it doesn't come loose. The whole assembly is one piece. Can't order just the cable, and can't even order the assembly except from Ford. $158

what a day...
:icon_confused: Ditto..........RAYBESTOS Part # BC95408

jimmy327

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L I4
Transmission
Manual
There's a catch to that.

The system is actually 4 cables, the two back cables going to each wheel, and the "front cable", which is about 2 1/2' long, that then connects to the OTHER front cable that goes up into the truck.

even ford calls that one in the middle the "front cable" but it's not the one that broke.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There's a catch to that.

The system is actually 4 cables, the two back cables going to each wheel, and the "front cable", which is about 2 1/2' long, that then connects to the OTHER front cable that goes up into the truck.

even ford calls that one in the middle the "front cable" but it's not the one that broke.
i am still confused. Did you fix it? are you going to post the conclusion?. Rockauto and AZ list the middle cable as "itermediate cable" the one that i posted by raybestos was the front one that went through the cab......

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There's a catch to that.

in the past I have been yelled at for being to blunt. so I will be extra nice and see if that works :).......................

these forums work best when the original poster "OP" gives feedback as the thread develops and then posts a conclusion at the end as to how the issue was resolved. The reason you want to post a conclusion is so that if another member has the same issue and does a search he/she will read though the thread and see how it was repaired. it is also in your best interest because other members will see that you are doing your part in making the forum better. Then next time they will be happy to help you again.. Some "trolls" just come in quick looking for an answer and never post a conclusion then you dont see them for a year till they have another issue

TC260

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey Jimmy, I have the same truck and my cable broke in the same place as yours. I got the replacement cable from Autozone today and the cable is exactly the same as the one that broke but I can't see any way to remove the old one from the parking brake assembly. I've been looking at this part for a couple hours and the only thing I can figure is that the whole parking brake assembly has to be replaced with the first section of cable pre-installed.

This is the most bass-akwards thing I've ever seen. Here's a picture of the brake cable attachment. The slot on the right where the cable end piece would normally slide out of is half the size it needs to be to remove the cable. The only way I can see to release the cable is for the two halves of that cam to come apart but the whole assembly is permanently pressed together. The thought crossed my mind about using a die grinder to open up the slot a little bit so the cable will come out...will have to think on that tonight.

Last edited:

TC260

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I decided to use the die grinder and opened up the slot just wide enough for the cable to come out. I really didn't want to hack it up like that but so far so good. I got the new cable in and everything seems to work fine.

jimmy327

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L I4
Transmission
Manual
I haven't posted a conclusion yet, because the new part is sitting on the floor beside me in the living room. I had to order it from Ford and it took a couple days. I'm sorry if it's taking too long for you.

The new part came in, and as expected, it's a beast, I'll take a picture later today and post it (about to head out to work)

The die grinder thing MIGHT work, but i'm leery about doing that; that and the bulk of my tools are about 4 hours away from here. :( So I'm limited to my hand tools and a few battery powered ones.

I spoke with mechanics at Ford, the service guys, the Parts guy, and 2 outside mechanics. All said the same thing, "you have to replace the whole thing." I WAS able to find just the cable from Autozone, but the autozone guy said that he's had them returned before because people couldn't figure out how to remove the old one.

I'm going to TRY to approach this this afternoon. I'll take pictures as I go and post them once I have everything working again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals