• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine light on and erratic oil pressure

PANTERA

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey all,
I changed the thermostat today, and after I took it for a 15 min drive. On the way home, the engine light came on, and noticed the oil pressure gauge bouncing around. I've been told that these gauges aren't really reliable, but the 18 years I've owned this truck, never seen this happen. The truck idles real rough too, so I don't know if that's related in any way. should I be real concerned?
Thanks,
Jason
FWIW, the engine idle drops as the needle on the oil gauge drops, so I don't feel that the gauge is just being "quirky". I think there is an issue, but not sure where.

Last edited:

Coolguy21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
erratic oil pressure

I would replace oil pump oil screen and oil sending unit before she locks up and throws a rod

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It sounds to me like there is an actual issue.

You can do one of two things as your next diagnostic step, you can do a mechanical oil pressure test, or you can take the oil filter off and cut it open.

PANTERA

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys for the replies. How do I go about doing an oil pressure test, and what would I find cutting the filter open? fortunately I have a week off of work, and It'll probably take me that long! I plan on possibly pulling the oil pan off to see if the pick up is blocked after doing a pressure check. A few years ago I put a 3" body lift in, because I was too cheap. Now I think that will work to my advantage!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
To do an oil pressure test you need to get an oil pressure gauge. Something in that shows in 1-pound increments is best. Then you remove the oil pressure sensor, install the gauge in place of the sensor, and then run the engine until it begins to act up and record the readings. You should have at least 20 PSI hot at idle, 30 or more is preferred in most engines.

Cutting the filter open lets you see what is in it. Knowing what is in your filter gives you a good idea of what is in your engine. The big thing you are looking for is anything shiny, like metal.

Coolguy21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
When you pull the oil pan off clean it with an old rag and check for clumps in the oil. Also check the oil screen for hardend oil blocking the flow of oil

Last edited:

PANTERA

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK, I drained the oil, black, not milky, which is a plus. I then removed the filter, cut the top open and removed the element. It wasn't collapsed and was black, but clean, no metal particles in it, so I can only assume the problem is in the oil pan? To jack the motor up, my only option is from the bottom. I've been told not to use the oil pan as a jacking point, although Haynes manual says it's OK. Where else can I jack the motor?

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
You can jack from the crank pulley or from the bell housing.
I always put a piece of something between the jack and the jack point when I do a small lift like that.

PANTERA

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
removed the upper intake manifold to get more clearance in jacking the motor up. I noticed oil on the gasket between the upper and lower intake manifold ports. Is that normal? I think I have enough clearance to remove the oil pan. what a pain in the ass!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals