• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'89 2.9 won't start. vacuum?

Josephus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Update: Truck started when I sprayed gas directly to intake. Ran decent for a few miles but now runs bad. Chasing more problems...

Hey guys,
First post after lurking awhile.

My 89 Ranger is pretty sick right now. I've never been totally pleased with how it starts (seems to want to stall sometimes on startup) but it used to run fine. Then it wouldn't start on cold startup, but if you waited about 5 minutes it would start and run fine.

Now it won't start at all. And I need some help troubleshooting. What should I check first?

And is there a good manual that you would recommend for the truck?

Battery is fine, cranks all day long (as long as I recharge overnight).
Seems to have just a *breath* of life on very first crank, but not enough to catch. nothing thereafter.

haven't checked spark.

Seems like there are vacuum lines or hoses everywhere. Wish I had a diagram that showed actual placement under hood for all those pieces.

Thanks for any help.
J

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
haven't checked spark.
I am assuming you have also not checked fuel pressure.

That would mean you have done nothing useful as of yet.

Fuel and spark are always always always the first things to check in a no-start situation.

Josephus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Correct.

I know where to check spark, but where's the best place to check fuel pressure?

Thanks

Josephus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like fuel to me as well, it will catch at first and burn the fuel pressure out of the rail, then nothing.

The cheap way is to turn the key on and listen for a zzzzzt noise at the tank. It should do this for about 3 seconds and stop until you hit the key again- then everytime you turn it on it should zzzzzt for 3 more seconds. The real way to test is to rent or buy a fuel pressure tester, locate the Schrader valve on the fuel rail, and hook it up. If no fuel pressure at the rail check the inertia switch and relay BEFORE you decide the problem is in the tank and replace the pump.

You can also shoot a little gas into the engine at the throttle body and see if it runs that gas out. If so, you know you have a fuel supply issue.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think one of the better diagnostic tools is a can a Quick Start starting fluid, it's ether in a spray can :)

When you have a hard or no start spray some in the intake, if engine fires up then dies you have a fuel problem, if it doesn't fire up then you have a spark problem.

This is a good page to read about the 2.9l engine with some good links.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_9_Page.html

No, and hard, start on a cold engine that runs fine when warm, usually comes down to weak spark or bad cold fuel/air mix, use the starting fluid to determine where to start.

Yes, a vacuum leak could create a lean mixture that would cause a hard or no start on a cold engine.

When you turn on the key the fuel pump will come on for 1 or 2 seconds, it is priming the system, turn key on and off 2 or 3 times and then try to start engine, if fuel rail is losing pressure overnight this will build pressure back up for starting.
If this helps then check fuel regulator on the fuel rail, it will have a vacuum line attached, remove this line and smell it for gas, if it has gas smell then regulator is leaking pressure(gas) through diaphragm.
If there is no gas smell you will need to test the rail pressure with engine running and then test it the next morning before starting.

Last edited:

Josephus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
great info guys, thanks.

The cheap way is to turn the key on and listen for a zzzzzt noise at the tank. It should do this for about 3 seconds and stop until you hit the key again- then everytime you turn it on it should zzzzzt for 3 more seconds.
RonD said:
When you turn on the key the fuel pump will come on for 1 or 2 seconds, it is priming the system,
When I turn the key to 'run' the fuel pump comes on, but i don't think it ever turns off. i'll check tonight.
snake said:
The real way to test is to rent or buy a fuel pressure tester, locate the Schrader valve on the fuel rail, and hook it up. If no fuel pressure at the rail check the inertia switch and relay BEFORE you decide the problem is in the tank and replace the pump.
I may need some help locating the Schrader valve.

snake said:
You can also shoot a little gas into the engine at the throttle body and see if it runs that gas out. If so, you know you have a fuel supply issue.
RonD said:
I think one of the better diagnostic tools is a can a Quick Start starting fluid, it's ether in a spray can
I can probably locate a can. I'll give that a try.
RonD said:
Yes, a vacuum leak could create a lean mixture that would cause a hard or no start on a cold engine.
I have to say that vacuum diagram seems incomplete to me. It seems like there's a lot more lines under the hood than the diagram shows.

Thanks guys.

Josephus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
After spraying ether directly into the intake while cranking the engine I got VERY little fire, and not enough to catch without the starter engaged.

I pulled 2 spark plugs and cranked the engine while they were grounded on the block/exhaust manifold. I got a little spark initially but only 1 or 2 and then nothing during cranking. 1 of the plugs showed me that, the other had no spark at all.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Best place to check fuel is at the fuel test port. It's on the fuel rail, kinda looks like a tire valve.

But the preliminary info suggests a bad TFI module.

Josephus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
how do you use the fuel port? do you just loosen it like a screw?

Josephus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
that looks like a good worksheet. I didn't use that before I started tearing into it though. I used a test I downloaded from the EBSCO Host database. The one test that failed was b/w GND and IGN GND (less than 2 ohms). I measured 20 ohms there.

At any rate, the TFI is now opened and destroyed by my condemning it and then getting curious. So I'll be getting another one tomorrow.

Josephus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
replaced TFI, no change but didn't get a chance to check for spark. just didn't start.

Josephus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
spark seems fine now. still no fire though (or very little) will check the fuel pressure.

what pressure reading should i be looking for?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals