• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 clicks like it has a stuck lifter

89ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all, I bought this 89 Ranger 4x4 so i could have a truck again but it needed the head gasket replaced. I replaced them and still haven't been able to get the power up where it should be. It acts like it isn't running on all cylinders and i fight to keep it at any speed above 55 mph. I'm absolutely lost and I'm wondering if it would be easier to put a 3.0 v6 in it and would it bolt right in and what would i need to change to get it to work? Any help would be appreciated.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 2.9l to 4.0l would be a simpler swap, they used the same block, and the power difference is noticeable.
The 3.0l is a completely different engine design, and not much difference power wise than the 2.9l, if it was working :)

Whats the compression like on the 2.9l?

Dirty fuel filter can limit power.
Can of Seafoam in the tank can clean up injectors, I do it once a year now, because I am cheap and use regular gas that doesn't have the cleaner additives, lol.

The computer(PCM) can't monitor fuel pressure, it assumes 30-35psi pressure at the injectors, so opens the injectors with that pressure in mind, if pressure is lower then engine gets starved for fuel.
If the Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR) on the fuel rail leaks, raw fuel can be sucked into the engine making it run rich, grey smoke,

TFI ignition does have it's problems:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.html

Ticking lifters is common on the 2.9l, bad oil system design
Good read here about the 2.9l engine:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_9_Page.html

Last edited:

89ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
With the 2.9 to 4.0 swap, would I get better gas mileage and would it bolt right in without swapping the tranny also?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
MPG would be less with the 4.0l, about 2 MPG less
2.9l in BII should be 18-20MPG average
4.0l in BII should be 16-18MPG average but that's just based in the few who have done the swap and reported MPG.
BII's are not exactly aerodynamic, lol.

Yes, 2.9l and 4.0l used the same bolt pattern.
First sentence here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/InterchangingTansmissions.html

You also need the 4.0l computer and wiring harness, so not a simple swap.

Last edited:

89ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
my trans code is T does that mean i need to swap the tranny also? and I'm averaging 10 to 13 mpg so that would be an increase for me

Last edited:

89ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you were to put together a list of things that I will need for the 4.0 conversion, what would it consist of?

89ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
By the way Ron D, thank you for all of the help that you have given me, it has been very helpful. Also, If I were to pull a 4.0 motor from a '91 to '94 Explorer and a wire harness from a 90 to 92 ranger, would they work without any modifications?

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
as far as the gas mileage, I was getting 21mpg with a '97 4.0L 5 speed that had 150k miles on the clock, it was bone stock however. No lift or tires etc.

89ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have 30 inch tires on my truck but when they need to be replaced, I'm going to put the stock 215/75R15 tires on. Any ideas on where to get a cheap computer and wiring harness in Utah? Even better, where can I find a 4.0l motor that actually runs?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals