• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 2.3l FI engine swap question

stringbeans3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey all, new guy here. I recently bought a 1985 Ranger that came stock with a 2.3 FI 4cyl engine. The previous owner had pulled the engine, so i bought the truck with no engine and now I'm wondering what to drop in. My question is, I want to drop a v6 in, but should I drop in the 2.9 FI? or the 2.8 carbureted?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Neither.

If you want a V-6 and are going to go to the trouble of the swap do a 4.0. They all bolt into the same spot, you will need all the same pieces, but a new dash (or at least the harness) for the 4.0, but out of the three the 4.0 is far and away the best engine.

stringbeans3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Neither.

If you want a V-6 and are going to go to the trouble of the swap do a 4.0. They all bolt into the same spot, you will need all the same pieces, but a new dash (or at least the harness) for the 4.0, but out of the three the 4.0 is far and away the best engine.
Thanks for the info. Would it be best to swap in a 4.0 OHV or a 4.0 SOHC? It's also a 4x4, so I was wondering if just sticking with a 2.3 and modding it would be easier.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info. Would it be best to swap in a 4.0 OHV or a 4.0 SOHC? It's also a 4x4, so I was wondering if just sticking with a 2.3 and modding it would be easier.
I would prolly go with the OHV, with the SOHC there is a lot more wiring involved becausenof obd2 and they you might run into clearence issues.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would go with the OHV as well, but not for the reasons Twister mentions. The SOHC can be made to run in an OBDI system, it's actually not that hard. It was probably harder for me to wire up my 87 dash to an 89 dash harness for my 4.0 swap.

The OHV engine is more reliable and easier to work on. The SOHC has timing chain issues which not only require special tools repair, but it requires the engine to be out of the vehicle. You can almost rebuild the OHV with it in place in the engine bay. Almost.

There are some fitment issues with the SOHC as well, it has a very deep oil pan compared to the OHV, but they can be overcome.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals