• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Shock Location

I_TarantulaX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 95' extended cab 2wd Ranger that is my daily driver, its been a long project I've been working on for a few years. I have an 8.8 from an Explorer to go under the rear with 64" leafs, I don’t want to put a bed cage in it because I need the hauling space, and I'm not up for the price of a cantilever or the fab time involved in doing it myself. Its going to get drop shackle brackets and longer shackles, so I am looking to get 15" plus of travel. My question is shock location, I'd like to hang the shock brackets off the front of the axle outboard of the leafs with these ( http://www.kartek.com/Product/1196/Axle-Housing-Shock-Mounts.aspx ) and angle them back in the direction of the suspension travel ( ie rearward at the top mounting point ), and have some shock hoops tucked up into the bed wheel tubs. Does anyone see any issues with binding and clearance of the shocks, or how this might effect the valving of some 255/70 shocks?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I honestly have no idea about your question, but since this is your first post...

Howdy and welcome to TRS!

I_TarantulaX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You'll have to excuse the horrible drawing on my phone, but this was my idea.

Shock mounting bracket in red, shock hoop in red.

Shock itself in blue.

2014-10-25 22.04.33.png

02MIranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I know it has been a few months, but I'd say that you would want to figure out what shock you would buy, so that you know what dimensions are at full bump, then you can figure out if you can fit the shock in the fender well. Or,I have seen it where the shocked are tipped forward like the stock ones, but the fuel tank is in the way on one side.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals