• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 Truggy

RescueRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Well I guess I will start a build thread, I have been hanging around here a bit and reading a lot of the other builds and there is a lot of awesome trucks on this site. Here is mine, I bought this 89 ranger already converted into a truggy and it has a SAS with leafs done I bought it just sitting on the leaf springs. It came with a ford 9 for rear out of a mustang so it is narrow and it has the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern the rear end came with 5.14s and a spool the truck also came with a dana 30 out of a TJ but the spiders are sheared off, so I started looking for another front and found a jeep j10 dana 44 and put that under it temporarily and just yesterday we bought a 77 Ford f150 4x4 so now I have full width dana 44 and 9 in. The ranger currently has the stock 2.9 and I will see how it does and if it doesnt work like we want this f150 also has a 351 auto and transfercase that can be dropped in. I plan on making a few changes like another cab and a few other things but I will try to update and take pics as I go I have built several different 4x4s everything from yotas to 69 bronco and the latest is 73 ford half ton but this will be the first that I will take pics and post info on.
This is how it sits now
It had been raining I didnt want to take tarp off for pics
And this is my donor truck

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I will be watching!

RescueRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic

This is how it looked when I bought it, I know I cheated a little by buying something already started but the price was very cheap and it has a lot of potential and plus I will change it up a bit and put my own twist on it. This will probably not be a fast build I am making it my goal to have it ready to hit trails by this next spring.

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
o lets get some pics with the tarp off :headbang: do you plan on reworking the front leafs??? moving the shackles to the rear would be my first mod.... but its def a good start especially if the price was right..

nate09

Reaction score
o lets get some pics with the tarp off :headbang: do you plan on reworking the front leafs??? moving the shackles to the rear would be my first mod.... but its def a good start especially if the price was right..
i know theres a good reason for this and at one point in time i used to know what it was, mind refreshing my memory?

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
nice truck, needs work though! =P less then mine I bet

RescueRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
thanks guys ya I plan on reworking a few things Im currently debating going back to coils or just leave leafs, for coils I would have to fab the frame back and purchase coils and radius arms so I may leave it with leafs for now since I pretty much have everything I need except maybe steering. Maybe this week I will take time to pull tarp and take a few more pics. Today I started pulling parts off of halfton I plan on pulling engine trans transfercase and diffs
I only paid 500 for the ranger and that included the 37x12.50x17 bfg crawlers so I cant complain, I also just paid 500 for the half ton ford so I am not into it for too much at this point. :D

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks like a nice rig, those rear shackle hangers are deffinantly gunna need work

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
nice project....i to will be following this....

as for the front axle shackle reversal....it is because when the front spring is compressed it actually forces the front axle forward.....

and as Slo-Vo said....the rear shackle is way flat....needs to be at the "7 o'clock" position....may just need a little re-arch or add a few leaves to the pack ( the leaves look awefully flat "....

l8r, John

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just throwing my opinion out their... like you said rather than buying coils, and fabing up some radius arms or links, i agree, just leave the leafs, look at all the rangers with leafs up front that work so well (AKA - NMB2) just get them shackles in the rear.. heres my buds ranger with fullsize bronco rear leafs up front for his sas

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oops...that second pic is wrong....

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
where in NM are you?

RescueRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
nice project....i to will be following this....

as for the front axle shackle reversal....it is because when the front spring is compressed it actually forces the front axle forward.....

and as Slo-Vo said....the rear shackle is way flat....needs to be at the "7 o'clock" position....may just need a little re-arch or add a few leaves to the pack ( the leaves look awefully flat "....

l8r, John
ya when they did the sas Im not sure if it was the shop that did the sas or the previous owner but they used stock yj springs all around the front ones that were on it were really flat almost going in opposite direction. I plan on changing the springs.

RescueRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
where in NM are you?
Farmington area, we have some pretty awesome trails out here you can go just a couple of minutes out of town and go rock crawlin or drive about an hour up to colorado and hit some nice trails up there. and we are only about 3 hours from moab. We used to have a yota that I built and we had it all over the rocks out here and Im kinda likin going up to colo and wheelin the trails up there so I am looking to build this into a general trail rig.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Farmington area, we have some pretty awesome trails out here you can go just a couple of minutes out of town and go rock crawlin or drive about an hour up to colorado and hit some nice trails up there. and we are only about 3 hours from moab. We used to have a yota that I built and we had it all over the rocks out here and Im kinda likin going up to colo and wheelin the trails up there so I am looking to build this into a general trail rig.
I know all about choke cherry. hence the NM in NMB2

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals