• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 3.0 flex fuel 4wd 5.0 conversation questions

Ryanm21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone I am new to the forum, i have been reading different threads on a explorer 5.0 swap to a 4wd ranger, I have a few questions. I just bought a 99 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 5.0 all wheel drive today to use as the donor vehicle my question is when I put the Explorer engine in my Ranger which is a 3.0 four-wheel drive do I use the Ford Explorer Drive shafts I'm not going to add the adapter kit to use my Ranger transfer case? will the Explorer engine and transmission have to be put in separate or can I put it in as one unit in. I have read that you have to use a oil filter relocation adapter and do you use the Explorer condenser for air conditioning or the ranger condenser for air conditioning. from what I have read and understand it's pretty much a straight forward drop in swap is there anything I should look out for thank you for all the help Ryan

Last edited:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
The explorer front shaft is direct drop in. You will need to mount the explorer front yoke on the ranger rear shaft. I am almost positive that setup will work as a drop in for the rear. But that is what a tape measure is for.I installed the engine and transmission as one in my 98 minus the transfer case. I had the transfer case adapter attached to it. It is a tight fit you have to get it high and at a hard angle but I did it by myself. The 99 expo 5.0 oil filter is already in the front of the engine and fits perfectly in the ranger. The ranger condenser is perfectly fine.

Here is a link to my swap I did at the end of last year. I cover what needs to be wired and some other good info. And search on here lots of v8 conversion stuff. The members on here are always willing to lend advice.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174669

Last edited:

Ryanm21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks ill look it over

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
no problem.

Ryanm21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome write up, have you heard anyone using the explorer awd case with ranger manual locking hubs? I plan on doing this, I only use 4wd for when it snows and i figured if I need it ill lock the front wheels and have awd again

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals