• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 2.9L Ranger Build

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
So i finally had time to put it all back together. Its not perfect but its good enough.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Josh P

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Nice job on the repair, and build of the truck.

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis
Glad you were able to get back into one piece!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just read through the whole thing. Update would be cool... "Did he ever get around to buying the turbo parts? Find out next time!" Lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Just read through the whole thing. Update would be cool... "Did he ever get around to buying the turbo parts? Find out next time!" Lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yea, sorry for the time away. Ive had a few things get in the way of this build. I have been collecting parts still and only need an oil pump, piping, bov, rrfpr, and maybe a hand full of other odd things.

I blew the trans and had to dedicate time and money to sourcing a new one. Im hoping to be able to fabricate the exhaust piping when the weather warms up.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Very interested to see where this goes. :icon_thumby: I have a T3 turbo, intercooler, cartech adjustable FMU, and an XR4Ti external high pressure pump. I imagine I could do a remote mounted setup pretty cheaply with the parts I have already. Main part I would have to purchase would be the oil return pump.

What is your plan to make the MAP system work? Has anyone attempted to tune these with a chip? I have a Moates Quarterhorse I could pull out of one of my other cars temporarily till I got the tune squared away and then burn a chip for the final tune with the other Moates equipment I have.
I wanted to follow up on this post because i think i must have missed it before. I looked into tuning options and its definitely possible but the ecu catch code isnt supported. They were cery helpful at moates ecen though they didnt have an answer for me.

Here is a copy of the email reply when i asked for a recommendation for a supported ecu strategy:

"I'd probably want to try to get you into something that Binary Editor supports "out of the box."

http://www.eecanalyzer.net/strategies

The answer probably will end up being some kind of mustang ECM but I'm not sure exactly which one will work for your ranger because I'm not 100% sure what hardware your engine uses (distributor, EDIS waste-fire coils, etc.) so you'll have to do your homework on this one."

If anyone can help with this that would be awesome. I have always wanted to get into ecu tuning and it would be great if i could start with this project.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals