• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Am i the only one thinking the headlights on these trucks suck?

machine090767

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 Triton V8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Perfection is worth the wait
How old are your bulbs? Just wondering, because bulbs do tend to dim gradually over time... If I were you, I'd upgrade to some brighter bulbs, and possibly point them up a hair if they really are lower than factory as you say... To me, it actually sounds like they might be aimed too high already... But thats just me... This might explain why you can see OK out in front of you on a dark highway, but not very well up close in a well lit city street...

Don't take that as pointing fingers or anything, I'm just pointing it out as a possibility! :)
I have the NEW phillips xtreme power 80% more light (?) bulbs. new installed this march. I've actually lowered the beam 2 inches below where they are supposed to be.

The Bandit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm thinking about adding a set of fog lights to my truck. I hate those auxiliary switches.

Would it drain power from, or damage the headlight circuit if I wired a set of small fog lights into the headlight switch?

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm thinking about adding a set of fog lights to my truck. I hate those auxiliary switches.

Would it drain power from, or damage the headlight circuit if I wired a set of small fog lights into the headlight switch?
No need to wire them directly into the headlight switch... If you just want them to come on with your high beams, then just find the high beam wire, (one of three wires on the headlight plug) and use a relay so that they come on when you hit your highs.

Are you actually wanting fog lights, or do you want driving lights? Fog lights are more like an intense low beam, that illuminates directly in front of your car. Driving lights help supplement your high beams, by shining waayyy out in the distance, and illuminating the road far ahead of you. I find driving lights to be more beneficial for the most part! :icon_thumby:

But yea, the best thing for you if you don't want the ability to turn them off whenever your lights are in use, is to just pick a light that you think you'd also use when the fog lights were on... Then just splice into one of the wires from it, and use it to trigger a relay.

I'd just warn you, this might not be legal, and having aux lights on all the time can get you a ticket!

Last edited:

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
after driving military trucks at night and those cheapo headlights mine seems like it is midafternoon haha

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
after driving military trucks at night and those cheapo headlights mine seems like it is midafternoon haha
Haha yea... Even my old gen 2 lights aren't THAT bad... I mean none of the rangers or RBV's had excellent headlights, but i never saw them as that bad... Although they seem pretty bad once you get used to having a good pair of aux lights! :D

Still makes me wonder whether they're aimed wrong/yellowed/old bulbs, or whats going on!

The Bandit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Driving lights would probably be better then. The truck was almost totaled when the dim ass lights caused my grandpa to hit a deer at about 60mph. Trying to figure out all the broken plastic clips and severe misalignment of body panels turned me against modern Fords for quite a while.

The law here pretty much says that you can have as many as three fog/driving lights, and two headlights-Bright or Dim. The only thing that will get you pulled over is excessive glare and high beaming another driver.

I'm considering getting two of the small black projectors and mounting inside the opening in the bumper, aimed straight ahead and down.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals