• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

headlight options for 88

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i've only had 1 headlight go out on me in the year and a half i've owned my truck (was my grandpa's before that up until the day he bought it in 88!!)

and i just replaced it with the cheapest that advance had...

but i'm looking for more light, and wondering what my options are.

HID's are way out of my budget for now, and i don't want to bake my lights to open them up or anything.

just looking for a plug and play headlight.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

ebay hid lights. the bulbs worked for 2 years before one burnt out. then i just bought some 20.00 ones.

they really light up the road.

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't know what your budget is, but you can buy new headlight housings on eBay pretty cheap. At least for 2nd gen rangers/BII/Explorers, I'm not sure about your first gen. Mine were $65 for the pair, shipped! Then I converted to 9007 bulbs, which were brighter than the stock 9004 bulbs, and installed silverstars. Those three things made my headlights BRIGHT! I can actually see at night now!

I would look into doing something similar, although I can't speak on the specifics of the first Gen headlights.

And you're a similar case to me! My grandpa bought my Bronco in 91 (Its a 90) and gave it to me 6 months ago after he owned it (and pampered it) for 18 years lol!

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
the cheapest i found on ebay for HID kits, which I assume actually are HID... hope they aren't scamming hah, was a little over $100 and that included shipping to my zip code...

they are a clear pair that come with chrome housing, diamond cut 7x6 housing, XTUNE 6000K H4 XENON HID CONVERSION KIT (6000K HIGH/LOW, a double filaments light bulb), and plug and play wiring harness

good, or no good?

Clear pair:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-1988-FORD-RANGER-PRO-HEADLIGHTS-H4-HID-KIT-1987-83_W0QQitemZ360222208965QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item53deeab3c5

Black pair:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-1988-FORD-RANGER-PRO-HEADLIGHTS-H4-HID-KIT-1987-83_W0QQitemZ200421104398QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2eaa075b0e

I've wanted to black/chrome out my truck eventually... so idk if i should/would go with the black pair or the clear pair.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
black sucks, doesnt project light.

i paid 30.00 for mine

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the cheapest i found on ebay for HID kits, which I assume actually are HID... hope they aren't scamming hah, was a little over $100 and that included shipping to my zip code...

they are a clear pair that come with chrome housing, diamond cut 7x6 housing, XTUNE 6000K H4 XENON HID CONVERSION KIT (6000K HIGH/LOW, a double filaments light bulb), and plug and play wiring harness

good, or no good?

Clear pair:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-1988-FORD-RANGER-PRO-HEADLIGHTS-H4-HID-KIT-1987-83_W0QQitemZ360222208965QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item53deeab3c5

Black pair:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-1988-FORD-RANGER-PRO-HEADLIGHTS-H4-HID-KIT-1987-83_W0QQitemZ200421104398QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2eaa075b0e

I've wanted to black/chrome out my truck eventually... so idk if i should/would go with the black pair or the clear pair.
Those look ok, they are certainly projector housings, which means at the very least they won't blind oncoming drivers. I agree though, I wouldn't go with the the black because it won't put out as much light, at least assuming the black part is the reflector for the low beam.

I'm actually kinda disappointed though. They don't seem to make proper projector housings for an 89-90 Bronco II. (same as 89-92 Ranger, and 91-94 Explorer.) Seems with the amount of vehicles they'd fit, someone would make them. eBay turned up nothing though. Anyway, I don't need new housings, I just bought brand new normal ones, and really don't need to go spending another $100 just for HID. I've got HID driving lights now anyway. Gahh I think I'm a light addict! :D

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
holy **** those are cheap...

if i'm reading correctly, that is for both pairs too! what are some good bulbs that will drop in there? idk if it's the way my headlights are aimed, but i always have my brights on to see better at night... hopefully after these i won't need it! i just need to find a good spot to aim my headlights... manuals and stuff say i need 25 feet of flat ground in front of a wall... anybody know like a way to reduce the distance and still get the same? i'm sure it's something to do with geometry...

i really like those headlights, and i'm starvin for money really bad right now, but i think i might buy these!!!

do i need a new lighting harness?

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no, they are a direct fit.

i had the same problem with mine. couldnt see crap.

the bulbs they give ya are ok. but there are better ones out there.

but get them first and see how ya like em. the bulbs are stupid easy to change when the lights are installed.

and yes that is for 2 lights.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
no, they are a direct fit.

i had the same problem with mine. couldnt see crap.

the bulbs they give ya are ok. but there are better ones out there.

but get them first and see how ya like em. the bulbs are stupid easy to change when the lights are installed.

and yes that is for 2 lights.
i'm ****ing ordering these! i'm sure i'll hear it from my mom.... "why are you spending your money on that shit" (of course in a high pitched bitchy voice)

but give me a break, i'm still in high school... not like my 21 year old sister who still lives at home (when the FU... is she gonna move out???)

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
just bought the headlights... can't believe they are that cheap and no shipping rates

anybody have advice on how to aim them? i know "how" to aim them... i have a haynes manual, but they usually require a large distance of flat ground from a flat wall to be able to tell... i'm looking for maybe like a 10 foot distance from the wall, i can't think of many places that i have access to a flat wall from 25 ft away

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just bought the headlights... can't believe they are that cheap and no shipping rates

anybody have advice on how to aim them? i know "how" to aim them... i have a haynes manual, but they usually require a large distance of flat ground from a flat wall to be able to tell... i'm looking for maybe like a 10 foot distance from the wall, i can't think of many places that i have access to a flat wall from 25 ft away
pull the truck up to a building side or a garage door. and aim them center and apart slightly. meaning, from top to bottom you want them center, and side to side facing away from eachother slightly.

i aim my lights this way and it suits me fine. only you can be the judge of that.

and congrats on the lights. i know youll like em.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'm ****ing ordering these! i'm sure i'll hear it from my mom.... "why are you spending your money on that shit" (of course in a high pitched bitchy voice)

but give me a break, i'm still in high school... not like my 21 year old sister who still lives at home (when the FU... is she gonna move out???)
tell her its cheaper for a set of lights, then for an insurance raise because of an accident. :headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals