• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

LED Dash Bulbs

NC Fire Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I know this has been asked alot but I didn't find it asked about my truck. I've got a 94 ex cab with tach and push button x-case. and I'm looking to do the led swap. I want to change every bulb in my interior. So does anybody know how many of each type I need? I've found that the main dash bulbs are 194's but nothing for the other ones, turn signals, P brake, high beams, 4x4, etc. I've also not found anything for the HVAC controls or the 4 wheel drive buttons. I've got several bulbs out and figure I'll just change everything at once. Any help anybody can give me would be wonderful.

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
Ok, I know this has been asked alot but I didn't find it asked about my truck. I've got a 94 ex cab with tach and push button x-case. and I'm looking to do the led swap. I want to change every bulb in my interior. So does anybody know how many of each type I need? I've found that the main dash bulbs are 194's but nothing for the other ones, turn signals, P brake, high beams, 4x4, etc. I've also not found anything for the HVAC controls or the 4 wheel drive buttons. I've got several bulbs out and figure I'll just change everything at once. Any help anybody can give me would be wonderful.
hvac controls are 194 as well. i believe 6 are needed for hvac and regular gauge lights, then every other light on the dash requires one more led. it will get expensive. my best suggestion is to either find someone with a haynes manual, buy your own, or call your local ford dealership and ask when they open tomorrow.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I believe its 6 in the dash, and either one or 2 in the HVAC (my 99 took 2 but yours may only take one, I would order 8 for the main lights to be safe...)

NC Fire Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok thanks guys. Anybody know if the turn signal indicators and such are the same bulbs? Also one other thing, I can't figure out if my dash has the green film on the back or not. Some say it does, and some say that didn't come about till 2000. I'm looking to do cool white and I don't want them to turn green.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
All rangers have the green film on the back of the gauges except for the like 83 - 88 rangers I think because my 84 just has green caps...

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Yes the turn signal indicators should be the same light style. And in mine (1991) it took 1 bulb in the hvac. However I could not figure out how to change the 4x4 push buttons over...

NC Fire Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok cool, thanks for all the info everybody. I might go with some other color now since it has the film. Trying to reset my needles kinda freaks me out.

CSyd77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6/3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
mine shows up nicely, i didnt do anything with the film on my 93, 5 in the cluster & 1 in the HVAC, also got one in the ashtray & glove box & two in the dome. theyr all 194s

NC Fire Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Blue was my original plan, but then I saw a guy on here that replaced all his with cool white, and it looks completely awesome. Thats what I'd really like but I'm afraid the film would turn it green or blueish.

Last edited:

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
From what I've heard, the green film shows up blue when you put the bright white LED's behind them... So I think all you need are white LED's if you want a blue dash...

@Grunizzle... If you remove the front facia of your dash, the push button switch should come out with it, and you just unplug it from the harness... In the back of that switch is the bulb. My switch had a bulb in it, with a green cover over the bulb, the actual writing in the switch was clear... So I know at least in my truck (its a 90' Bronco II) you would need one blue LED for the push button switch, so that it matches the blue in the rest of the dash! :icon_thumby:

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
From what I've heard, the green film shows up blue when you put the bright white LED's behind them... So I think all you need are white LED's if you want a blue dash...

@Grunizzle... If you remove the front facia of your dash, the push button switch should come out with it, and you just unplug it from the harness... In the back of that switch is the bulb. My switch had a bulb in it, with a green cover over the bulb, the actual writing in the switch was clear... So I know at least in my truck (its a 90' Bronco II) you would need one blue LED for the push button switch, so that it matches the blue in the rest of the dash! :icon_thumby:
Thanks for the response, I figured that out the other day lol. I just took the green cover off the bulb and left it that way, I can't figure out what type of light bulb it is to replace it, any ideas?

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the response, I figured that out the other day lol. I just took the green cover off the bulb and left it that way, I can't figure out what type of light bulb it is to replace it, any ideas?
I thought it was the same as the rest of the dash lights?? No?? the 194 bulbs? But maybe not... I'm just going off of what I've read, I haven't done any of this to my truck yet...

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
I thought it was the same as the rest of the dash lights?? No?? the 194 bulbs? But maybe not... I'm just going off of what I've read, I haven't done any of this to my truck yet...
No the light in the 4x4 buttons is some weird little bulb I have no idea what kind...

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No the light in the 4x4 buttons is some weird little bulb I have no idea what kind...
To be honest, I'm not sure what type of bulb it is then... I recognize the bulb, and I believe its a fairly standard type, but I don't recall what the number or bulb code it is... I'd take it and make a run to advance or autozone... Hopefully they'd have one in stock, and could let ya know what kinda bulb it is! :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals