• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Limiting Factor?

jasongind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i have an '01 SuperCab 3.0, Manual, 4x4, the max trailer weight is right around 2,400lbs. Which I was actually kind of surprised at, and not in a good way. I was looking into towing a 15 1/2' PlayMor camper tailer this weekend. It has a GVW of 3,500lbs. So, I'm obviously not towing it with my truck. But it got me wondering what limits these trucks to such a low tow rating?

I have towed just ove 1,800lbs worth of junk to the dump with now problems at all.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Controlling the load is the most important thing. Your truck can control that trailer. You need a frame mounted hitch and a trailer brake controller--an inertial type, like a Prodigy, not a time-delay type.

The rating on your truck is partly to sell you the more expensive package--4.0 and auto. Secondary to that is the fact that an auto is easier to drive while towing and less likely to cause a warranty claim.

An asshole might slip the clutch mercilessly trying to get the trailer to take off faster than it wants to. It might kill the clutch in one day.

Get the clutch fully up as smoothly and quickly as you can and then apply acceleration. Don't push the gas pedal down more than it takes to avoid stalling until your clutch foot is off the pedal. After that, don't use the clutch. I mean, use it, but don't. Rev to about 4,500rpm in each gear, let the clutch all the way back up before applying gas. You'll find the place where you can do this smoothly. You can tow 6,000# and your clutch will die of deterioration before you burn it. The simultaneous clutch out/gas in thing is what kills clutches.

My 4,500rpm thing is a guess. I've never driven a 3.0. Point is, you are asking for a lot of power and you need to let the engine make it. If the max power is at 5,000, shift there when you are towing. That will keep the engine in its torque band. If the engine is allowed to make the torque, it takes the load off of the drivetrain.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Will pretty much summed it up.

Towing a load like that you will want to shift around 4500-5k. The powerband on a 3.0L is roughly from 3,000 to 5,000 rpms.

I've pulled Bronco IIs behind my 3.0L supercab manual trans. Pulled my stock '88 over 700 miles on a tow dolly, pulled my choptop in original form 500 miles on a tow dolly, pulled the lifted choptop 200 miles on a tow bar, and pulled a lifted Jeep. Never had a problem (of course, I'm used to towing). Trailer brakes are helpful though, especially with all the idiots on the road anymore.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals