• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck runs rough after head install

tdaddylove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
1993 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0L 4X4

Well both heads on my truck cracked. It looks like the previous owner really didn't take care of this truck. The truck starting to blow steam out everywhere so now everythign behind the motor is covered with dried up coolant. Anyway, I took my truck to a friend of my Dads to replace the heads. I got some used heads from a 3.0 Taurus and he put them on. We both inspected them and they looked good with no cracks or bent valves. Once everything was put back togethor the truck ran very rough and shakes at idle (bouncing from 500-600 Rpms) but at higher rpms the shaking stops and seems to run better. I told him that it wasn't running right and he stated that it might be the exhaust since the exhaust pipe is disconnected from the muffler. This makes no sense to me why the exhaust would cause the truck to run rough unless there was a clog.
My first instinct is that the timing is off. He seems pretty sure that the timing is correct. I checked the ECU codes and it came back with a Bank 2 Running Lean code.

So now I'd like to figure out what I should check before i take it somewhere else. Here is what i've checked already:

ECU-Codes coming up with Bank 2 Running Lean error and other codes from the shaking of the motor. Used the jumper method in my Haynes Manual.

Replaced all 6 injectors with remanufactured ones. Truck still runs the same.

Checked gapping and spark on all spark plugs and they all looked good. It was very strange that cylinder 3 spark plug looked brand new when i pulled it. The others you could see some type of fuel residue and some grime.

Replaced ground strap that went from firewall to engine. I put the new strap on a intake manifold bolt.

Thanks for any information.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
where di the taurus heads come from , if they came from a junkyard , there is a reason it was there in the first place , the heads may not be craked , but they may be warped

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Other items to check would be for a vacuum leak or a vacuum hose not reconnected, or emissions sensors left unconnected.

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
check for vacuum leaks. that will cause rough running at idle and lean codes.

it sounds like you may not be getting fuel to the #3 cylinder. with the truck running, pull the spark plug wire off that cylinder and see if it changes the way the truck runs at all. if it does, you have a dead hole and need to figure out why. it could be an injector/PCM grounding issue, or some kind of mechanical issue. a compression test would be a good idea especially considering the unknown nature of the junkyard heads.

tdaddylove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Got the heads from the yard. I'm hoping that he checked them to make sure they were warped before installing them. If they were warped would I have head gasket symptoms such as water in oil, water out of exhaust, fouled plugs?

All vacuum lines appear to be correctly installed but i will check for leaks. I'm guessing using some soap water will work. Its kind of hard to listen for them with the motor running so rough and the exhaust not muffled.

About the Cylinder 3 spark plug. I think you might be on to something with the injector wiring. The wierd thing is that Cylinder 3 is considered Bank 1 yet my lean code is Bank 2.

Would bad timing cause something like this? I'm wondering if he disconnected the spout connecter before timing it. From what i've read, the spout connecter is located near the front drivers side head light and I doubt he knew that.

Thanks for all the info. I actually want to buy a timing light and compression checker anyway.

Last edited:

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
i have never has experience with the 93's or with a warped head , so my knowledge ends here , wicked will prolly be agle to help better

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
a warped head will indeed give you blown head gasket symptoms. but depending on how bad the leak is, you may only get rough running. a compression and/or cooling system pressure test will uncover a problem in that area.

the trick i usually use for vacuum leaks is any kind of aerisole solvent such as brake cleaner or starting fluid. sprayed around suspect gaskets, it will cause a change in RPM (up or down, depending on the chemical) if ingested through a leak.

the timing being off could certainly cause all of your symptoms. setting the base timing with the SPOUT connector in place will yeild extremely retarded timing. the spout is behind the drivers headlight, its a small grey or black plastic plug with 2 wires coming out of it.

tdaddylove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well i didn't get a chance to check for vacuum leaks or do a compression check but i did fix the timing. It was way off so i know he didn't take off the spout connector.

The truck is still runn ing rough though. I'm looking to continue troubleshooting tomorrow. Is there a good way to check the Injector connectors? I was thinking about just putting a clamp on meter around them to see if there is any current. But i guess using a multimeter and checking the voltage would work better.

Thanks for any info.

Tim

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
a simple test light probing into an injector connector will tell you if its getting signal (12v+ is constant, the PCM grounds the injector to fire it). a DVOM will not react fast enough to show if its working. an analog meter would probably work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals