• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

v6 3.0l 4x4 tow a car ?

krisdeezy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys im new !

i ve been searching around this forum and was looking at what the towing capacity is !

well im buying a 1998 ford ranger xlt 4x4 3.0l v6 and was wondering if i can tow my track that that weights rougly 2900 pounds while using a uhual auto transport that weights roughly 2,200 pounds ? I will be using an actual hitch not the bumper one ! I will be driving up to willow springs raceway which is about 70 miles away from where i live ! there will be a little bit of uphills, what do you guys think ?

thanks again !

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
it will be rough. drove to cali with slight up hills and my truck could not keep up 80mph. that seems like alot to be towing too you don't necessarily need to worry about power but the stopping. if you don't have trailer brakes it will push your truck around

dranger21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
First of all welcome to trs. I'm no expert in this but i have a 99 with a 3.0 and that is quite a load to haul with that truck. The 3.0 is a great motor and will run a long time if taken care of but it is a bit of a dog. Aside from the motor, that is a lot for the transmission and I would definitely find a tranny cooler. If you are going to haul it on a regular basis I would seriously consider towing with something else. You may be able to do it but don't expect to go anywhere fast.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Where abouts in NC do you live?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Can it be done?

Probably. I've towed BIIs a number of times behind my 2000 Ranger. I had 3.73 gears, 235/75/15 tires, manual trans, extended cab, class III hitch, custom leaf spring packs, etc. It actually did a decent job of towing both with a tow bar and with a tow dolly.

I'd deff want trailer brakes though. That was the one thing I didn't like about towing with my Ranger and a BII on a tow bar or dolly. And legally you might exceed your max tow rating (which would make it technically illegal to haul like that).

I've also towed with my F-150 (300- straight 6 motor, 5-speed, 3.08 gears, 4x4). I have a class IV hitch on it but I think my rear springs need upgraded. I hauled my choptop behind it and hated it, my Ranger had much more control over the load with the upgraded springs I had on it. I've also towed a 14' equipment trailer behind the truck with probably 2k in materials on it. It was a dog with those gears but the truck just doesn't know when to quit, viva the mighty 300!

Only thing is, my F-150 gets 15 mpg around town and my Ranger with a tonneau cover got 21 around town, lol. Nearly empty that is.

jadd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I wanted to rent a Uhaul car trailer, ya know the flat kind the towed vehicle sits on. The guys at Uhaul wouldn't even let me rent one, said it was outside of my trucks capacity. And I have a 4.0...

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If there's one thing I've learned from people dealing with those morons at U-haul, it's, always tell them you're going to haul with a 1-ton pickup.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Those U-Hual trailers have surge brakes on them, which are fine.

U-Haul has a tool on their website so you can type in your stuff and see if they will allow it. They aren't going to allow you to tow anything on that hauler with a Ranger.

It's much more economical to buy a trailer. Doesn't take too many rental episodes to get to the $1,000 it takes to own a decent trailer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals