• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil in spark plugs

SU8ZERO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2002 4 cyl 2.3l ford ranger that got oil in the middle 2 spark plugs, theres a sensor inbetween those 2 plugs which is where i think the oil is coming from but am not sure, any help would b appreciated

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2002 4 cyl 2.3l ford ranger that got oil in the middle 2 spark plugs, theres a sensor inbetween those 2 plugs which is where i think the oil is coming from but am not sure, any help would b appreciated

Oil in the spark plugs???? What do you mean by that?:icon_confused:

Ranger beater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do you mean on top of the spark plugs? I had a similar problem and it turned out that the valve cover gasket was leaking.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pic?

SU8ZERO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
my truck wasnt idleing right or running right so i took out the plugs an at the bottom of the plugs where they ignite the fuel was dripping with oil when itook them out.

Rogue_Wulff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Most likely the valve cover leaking. When oil leaks at the plug holes, it will puddle around the plug until it's removed, then it runs down the threads of the plug and into the cyl.
It's not the main (outer) gasket that leaks, but the 4 smaller inner gasket/seals around the plugs holes.
Pretty common issue on any engine that has the spark plugs in the middle of the valve cover.

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Had the same problem a while back with mine. Pulled the plugs and said holy crap I'm burning oil worse than Iran circa 1990!!!!!! Then I realized that it's impossible to have oil on the threads, and that its the oil pooling up around the plugs. Is there oil built up on the front of the engine too? Mine has some, so I know my gaskets are leaking and it's only a matter of time...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals