• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tow Pig / Daily Driver Build

motorbill87

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/2006
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L/4.6L
Transmission
Automatic
when you did the sas, were you able to use the steering components that were used on the ttb set up?

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
when you did the sas, were you able to use the steering components that were used on the ttb set up?
No. The steering setup on the TTB is completely different and not compatible with the Dana 60. The only steering part you can reuse is the pitman arm. However, the F-350 pitman arm is a better choice.

motorbill87

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/2006
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L/4.6L
Transmission
Automatic
gotcha. so whatever truck i steel the 60 out of i'll just take the steering links too. what year truck did your front axle come out of?

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'd recommend buying new tie rods and tie rod ends. They are a wear item and you won't know if they are good or not. Besides, I got my steering components from the local O'Reilly Auto Parts for about $150.

Mine came out of a '95 truck. The '95-'97's use the same brake calipers so there was no need to disconnect the brake lines.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
If you like the filter mod, you should get a TS style chip with custom tunes on it. That is the best/cheapest power adder you can get for these.
do you have a TS in yours ? who are the tunes by ?

I have a TS with Tony Wildman tunes in my truck , plus the 6637 Air Filter , the BB in the fuel bowl , Rosewood Stage 1 160cc injectors , new GP's and UVCH's , and Glowshift Gauges. I have , but have yet to install the HPX. Now I just need to replace the cab and such and i will have my dream truck.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
do you have a TS in yours ? who are the tunes by ?

I have a TS with Tony Wildman tunes in my truck , plus the 6637 Air Filter , the BB in the fuel bowl , Rosewood Stage 1 160cc injectors , new GP's and UVCH's , and Glowshift Gauges. I have , but have yet to install the HPX. Now I just need to replace the cab and such and i will have my dream truck.
Mine is tuned by Tyrant Diesel.

What are you running for an HPOP? I'm going to wait on injectors until mine start going out. I've been looking around at different HPOP's though.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
Mine is tuned by Tyrant Diesel.

What are you running for an HPOP? I'm going to wait on injectors until mine start going out. I've been looking around at different HPOP's though.
I have a stock HPOP , with just Stage 1's you don't have to change it , my friend has a 95 with $10k from the heads up in it and he is only running an Adrenaline 17* HPOP and it works fine for the power he is building , so unless you are planning on going power crazy you can just stick with the stock one

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a stock HPOP , with just Stage 1's you don't have to change it , my friend has a 95 with $10k from the heads up in it and he is only running an Adrenaline 17* HPOP and it works fine for the power he is building , so unless you are planning on going power crazy you can just stick with the stock one
I'd like to have the additional flow of a larger HPOP. I am considering a 17* from a Super Duty or a T500.

Considering how fast your truck has been progressing, I doubt you're going to wait that long :thefinger:
Unfortunately the wife has put a lock on mods unless they are necessary until some things are paid off.:dunno:

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
I'd like to have the additional flow of a larger HPOP. I am considering a 17* from a Super Duty or a T500.
i would suggest the arenaline then , it is cheap and it flows very good , like i said , my buddy is running a setup that puts out ~600RWHP and he is running an adrenaline 17* , another friend of mine got a T500 , put it in their completely stock truck , the first one didnt pump at all , then the second one worked for about 100 miles and then stopped working , they are back to their stock one with no issues , even with stage 1's you do not really need the bigger HPOP , but it is your choice

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the heads up on the T500.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I got the AFE Big Boost filter today from JAP. I only paid $97 to my door including a recharge kit.

After looking at the filter, I can say it is a quality filter. I really like how it has an air inlet in the end of the filter for more air area. The AFE Big Boost is about 1/2" shorter in length than the 6637. It clears the intercooler tubes a lot better than the 6637 filter did.

Before I installed the filter, I drove the truck the same path and the same way. The most I could get the turbo to spool to was 19 PSI with the intercooler.

After getting the filter installed, I took the truck for a spin. The turbo spools up a little faster and doesn't seem to be struggling to pull the air through. I can also tell a major difference in smoke output at 3/4 to WOT. There isn't near as much smoke as there was with the 6637 filter. I got the turbo up to 24 PSI obviously with the intercooler.

6637 FIlter:

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
i like the looks of that filter , when i strip and rebuild my truck this summer i may get one since i plan to install an intercooler , FYI on mine with the 5-speed , 160cc Rosewood Injectors , TS 6-position by Tony Wildman and the 6637 Filter the most i have pulled is 33 PSI

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i like the looks of that filter , when i strip and rebuild my truck this summer i may get one since i plan to install an intercooler , FYI on mine with the 5-speed , 160cc Rosewood Injectors , TS 6-position by Tony Wildman and the 6637 Filter the most i have pulled is 33 PSI
It is a nice filter. Get the filter stand from Tymar (you can just buy it). It keeps the filter up off the inner fender. These style filters draw air from the bottom first then go around the filter when there is a demand for more air.

Before I had the intercooler installed, I could hit 29 PSI with my stock injectors, 15* HPOP, and Tymar w/ the 6637 filter. After the intercooler, I got it up to 19PSI with the 6637 filter; and that was with a TON of smoke. After the AFE Big Boost, I got it up to 24PSI with about 1/2 the smoke it had before. I can also tell a difference in how quick the PSI builds.

Both those are with canned PHP tunes. I'm looking to have my chip reburnt next. I'm either going to buy a burner and get tunes emailed to me or have to bite the bullet and pull it out and ship it somewhere (don't really want to do that). I'm debating on either TW or Tyrant Diesel.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I got my F-350 pitman arm installed today. I had to cut a 1" section out of the F-250 pitman arm to get it off.

With the F-250 pitman arm and the Dana 60, I was able to turn 2.5 turns lock to lock and was about 1" away from the steering stops.

With the F-350 pitman arm and the Dana 60, I am now able to turn 3 turns lock to lock and hit the steering stops on the axle. It is amazing how much more turning radius that 1" will give you.

Here is the comparison of the 2 pitman arms. Obviously, the F-250 pitman arm is on the right and the F-350 pitman arm is on the left. I would say the reason the F-350 pitman arm gives you more turning radius is because it is about 1.25" longer center hole to center hole than the F-250 pitman arm. It is obvious in the picture that the F-350 arm is longer.

Here is the section I had to cut out of the F-250 arm to get it off the steering box.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals