• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

long bed to short??

jarfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Looking to convert a 92 lbw truck to short bed. Does anyone know where the extra length is in the backhalfs?

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I would suspect that half of it is in front of the wheel well, and the other half is behind the wheel well.

If I'm not mistaken, a short box is about 6 feet, right? And the long box is 7 feet? And an extended cab gets the short box, right?

Wheelbases are as follows:
Short box: 107.9 (inches)
Long box: 113.9 (inches)
SuperCab: 125.0 (inches)

It would actually make sense to put half of length between the wheels and the other half behind, because you want your weight centered over your axle (at least in my mind).

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Most of the extra length is in front of the rear tires. The gas door gets much closer to the cab on the short box. I can do some measuring tomorrow cause I happen to have both long bed and short bed rangers in my garage.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
1990RangerinSK is correct. you will have a 6 inch or so gap between the cab and bed if you install a shortbed on a longbed frame. Not sure if the bolts will line up or if the bed will sit level either. I guess you could fab up a storage box of sorts to fit between the bed and cab, and make a large rear bumper for the back end or trim the frame.

AJ

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You might find the info in the following link. The link is for a 2000 ranger, the earliest this particular Ford site has. The site goes from 2000 to 2018. If you right click and open in a new tab you can compare all three body types side by side.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2000/ranger.html

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think the wheel wells are pretty much centered with either bed.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I may have mis-understood the OP. I assumed he was talking shortening the frame.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On a '92, the OP will need to shorten the frame in 2 places: 6" before the rear wheels and 6" after (as part of this, you may need to relocate the spare tire crossmember). You have to shorten the rear half too as the bottom of the tailgate is lower than the top of the frame; so you wouldn't be able to open the tailgate if you don't.* And you of course need a short bed driveshaft, shorten piping to the emissions canister and gas.

*Notching the back 6" of frame (rather than removing section) would leave it very weak - not good for towing, or in case of accident.

On '98+ Rangers, you only need shorten the frame in front of the rear wheels as the frame separates just behind the cab; and then you can use a supercab/short bed rear frame section.

My '98 Ranger is the opposite; I added 6" of frame just behind the cab; and a long bed frame section to make a long bed supercab. I had to add an extra bit of piping to the gas tank filler**; extend the rear brake line (I have a Superlift as well so added 12" - 6" for the frame extension, 4" for the lift + some slack.) and there is a 6" extension to the charcoal canister, a 6¼" longer driveshaft (square/hypotenuse thing, didn't have to add 10") and a 12" wiring extension to the rear lights.*

*While I was modifying the wiring, I changed the trailer plug from 4 wire to 5 flat, and used the blue as back up lights (Allows activation of the solenoid on my trailer's surge brakes, so I can reverse without trailer brakes activating). A 4 flat plugs into the 5 if I am towing a different trailer without the extra pin.

**If someone can tell me how to "repair" a plastic gas tank, I have 2 tanks which I could graft together into one longer one. The 3 extra gallons which a 6" longer tank would net me isn't much, but it is 20% more...

If you were '93+, I have a slightly experienced long box for sale on driveway.

Last edited:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
have any pictures of the long bed supercab? i always wanted to build one but it seemed like quite a bit of work to only gain 1 ft of bed length. my plan would have been to take 2 trucks, cut frames right behind cab mount and splice longbed frame to supercab front clip. then of course all the lengthing like driveshaft,brake line, electrical, fuel tank mount.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals