• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Caster/camber replacement 1993 Splash, 2.3 engine, and 2-wd.

arseatea

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone know what size or degree caster and camber adjuster I need for this 1993 Splash, with 2.3 engine and 2-WD? Checking on line, there seems to be a lot of sizes in degrees. I am pretty sure I will have to have a professional alignment when I finish. Is there a marking anywhere? I am pretty sure I will have to destroy the ones in it now and not sure I can read any marking that may have been on it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You can't know which bushings are needed until you do what ever work you are doing and then put it on the rack and see how far out of whack it is. So the answer to your initial question, as asked, is "No", literally nobody knows which part you will need until the end of the job. If you are sticking with a fixed bushing that is.

If you get the adjustable ones and go with a good mid-range one, like a 0 through 3 or 4 odds are good you will be able to get it set correctly at the alignment shop.

What are you doing anyway?

arseatea

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Automatic
1993 Splash, 2wd, 2.3 engine

Thanks for the post. I am beating my self up replacing upper and lower ball joints. I am using the directions in my Haynes Repair manual. So far, nothing works like the manual says. I was not able to remove the pinch bolt which threads into the twin-I-beam (or what I would call an axle shaft) that holds the upper ball joint and camber adjuster. So after oiling,beating, drilling, heating, I finally just cut the pinch bolt in the middle thinking that the two-piece caster adjuster on top would pop out. No such luck. I had to beat it out with a thin chisel and punch. So, now the upper part is loose and I am beating on the lower end hoping it will let loose of the lower ball joint shaft so I can take the spindle out. Then I will drill out both halves of the pinch bolt and replace it along with new Moog ball joints. But, I did notice that the new upper ball joint has a split shaft. Not sure if it is ok to use it or if they sold me the wrong one. I have an air hammer that I thought I might try to knock the spindle loose at the lower part of the I-beam.
What do you think? The nut is off, but it is tight as a drum. Really appreciate any help you may give me.

arseatea

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Automatic
Finally got the ball joints out and replaced. I had to beat the I-beam yoke with a small sledge, but eventually the spindle fell out. My advice is don't give up. I have to put it back together and get the alignment done.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
(or what I would call an axle shaft)
Axle shafts turn. There is nothing on the front end of your 2wd truck that can properly be termed an "axle shaft".

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals