• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Toyota rant

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
So a friend of mine from work asked me if I could change the brake pads on his 1992 Toyota Paseo. Ok so I jacked up the right side and it literally took me longer jack up the car and get the wheel off than it did to change the pads. Put the wheel back on and let the car off the jack. Jacked up the driver side, took the wheel off and the caliper pins are rounded off (driver side brakes are metal to metal) so I tell my friend I couldn’t do it there at work and I needed it in my driveway. This was Thursday. Saturday after work I towed his car to my house on my dolly and we started working on it again. I used my impact and took the whole caliper mounting bracket and all off.... but to do this I also had to take the strut out. We got the pads changed (but lost one of the anti rattle clips) and spent an hour fighting with the caliper mount to get the bolts threaded into it. Spin the rotor and it feels fine. Put the wheel on and he backs it out of my driveway and goes to leave but the car is working way to hard to move, pull it back in the drive way and jack it back up and the wheel won’t turn. Pull the wheel off and look at the thing and we’ll its missing an anti rattle clip, this is a misleading name because these are not anti rattle clips but clips that hold the pads is place. Go to autozone because there were no new clips in the brake pad box and order the clips.

Today: It’s snowing but I want this car out of my driveway. got the clips, installed the clipsinstalled the clips but now the pads won’t fit in the caliper, to long by a micron.... spend 30 min filing the edge of the pad down and it fits. Installed the caliper (no fight this time because we figured it out yesterday) and the wheel is still bound.... ok so because I didn’t take out the guid pins I didn’t recently the caliper on the guide pins... this has to to be the problem..... pulled the caliper back off... took it completely off the car and set it on my work bench. Grabbed my easy outs but my set does not have a 12mm. So I grab the caliper and go to Napa because sometimes they can fix things like this.

They couldn’t get the guide pins out either, the caliper is frozen on the pins and won’t slide.... but they pointed out that even if I got the pins out I would still have to clean it up and hone the inside of the hole and put new rubbers over the pins.....

Ordered a bracketed caliper that is going to come fully assembled, all I have to do is put in the pads, install it on the car, and bleed it. But because it is a Toyota Paseo, nobody has the caliper in stock and I can’t get it until Tuesday..... not even our local Toyota wrecking yard has a damn Paseo.... so what should have taken me 30 min tops has been going on for 4 hours yesterday and 3 hours today. This f*****g car has cheated me out of a victory and I hate this car. Every time I work on a foreign it makes me appreciate my Ford even more

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Every time I work on a Toyota at work I end up throwing shit and yelling in front of customers. Even stupid stuff like an oil chang. It takes longer to get the dank skid plates off than so the actual service. They always have odd sized bolts for stuff.

I don't understand why they have such a big following, I've hated every one I've worked on as well, including my own.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I don't like trying to reach the oil filter on my father-in-law s Tacoma prerunner. I did some body work on it a couple years ago and that went ok.

I like working on my Ranger. But have to admit there are some things Ford could have designed much better.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JunkCollector

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85, '88, '91
Make / Model
B2, B2, Ranger
My credo
Local RBV "expert"
Gotta love the Toyota/GM lets-put-the-filter-under-the-exhaust-manifold obsession and Subaru's "lets put a literal ring of exhaust tubing around the filter underneath the car" idea. It's fun for those of us that work at quick-lube shops.

I will say with Fords that their new fiber aero covers are atrocious.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't understand why they have such a big following, I've hated every one I've worked on as well, including my own.
I checked into a Taco, never been in one, never been around one, never worked on one. But looking on forums and facebook groups... it is almost comical what people put up with.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Well..... interesting development, my 18yo son just bought the Toyota Paseo from the guy for $500

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well..... interesting development, my 18yo son just bought the Toyota Paseo from the guy for $500
That sucks
:bawling:

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That sounds like one of those "meant to be" stories. hopefully the worst is behind you with this vehicle. at least you know the brakes wont need changed for a while. lol.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Just a thought regarding parts for the Paseo. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Paseo is essentially a Tercel, but with some differences. Wikipedia seems to imply that some parts are interchangeable between the Tercel, Paseo, and a third car based on the same platform, called the Starlet.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
And you disowned him?

In general I don't mind working on newer (2010+) Toyotas. Anything from the early 90s or older I just set on fire and call it an "accident".

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Try a 2004 Nissan Maxima. extremely fun car to drive, comfortable, looked decent. try changing the belts on it, or anything that deals with the suspension. the only things that were easy to change out on this car was the battery and the upper radiator mounts. everything else was like mastering the fine art of pissing up a rope.

AJ

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Hmm, by the sounds of it I'm glad I let my Toyota dealer do the maintenance stuff on my 08 Tundra LOL.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Im just shocked there are still paseos running down the road.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Im just shocked there are still paseos running down the road.
Agreed. I never knew they were called that. I think I seen one once in my whole 29 years of living lol. I had to google the name just to know what they hell it was. Where I live there aren't any Toyotas around unless they are 2000 and newer or 90's trucks that are rusted to hell. I remember my friend in high school had a 90 tercel that someone thought they could touch up the bad paint spots with house paint. They literally rolled brown house paint on the car.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Agreed. I never knew they were called that. I think I seen one once in my whole 29 years of living lol. I had to google the name just to know what they hell it was. Where I live there aren't any Toyotas around unless they are 2000 and newer or 90's trucks that are rusted to hell. I remember my friend in high school had a 90 tercel that someone thought they could touch up the bad paint spots with house paint. They literally rolled brown house paint on the car.
All i see around here are the snobby moma in siennas and the snobby "american trucks are under me" idiots rolling in lifted tundras.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals