• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clattery 2.3

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Its been awhile since i have last been on here but its good to see the place is still going and looking better than ever!! Anyway my dd 88 2wd ranger with a 2.3 is making some very angry noises. But its only does it around 2000 to 2500 rpm. I kind of sounds like a lose rocker arm rattle its weird i cant quite pin point the origin

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Take a wooden handle and start placing it against different areas of the engine. Then lay your ear on the wood. This will magnify the sound and help you narrow down the area it’s coming from.

But this is just my opinion. Linda like a main rattle to me. Rev the engine quickly. Try to get it to “free wheel” .......on deceleration if you hear a rattle then you have a main bearing noise.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
No this only rattles when u hold it at like 2200 rpm once higher then that it stops and lower than that it stops its weird and ill try the wood handle trick

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Crawl under the cab on the passenger side. Inspect the catalytic converter heat shields. They are tack-welded onto the converter. The welds can break, and allow the shields to rattle at specific rpms. It's been so long since I did mine, I forget how many welds were broken, but it was more than one.
I got some stainless screw-type clamps at Home Depot, connected the head of one to the tail of another to get enough length(measure, I had way too much) to go around the shields. I used two pairs, and clamped towards the front and towards the rear. Still there after all these years. No more ratttle, and you can tighten if they start to rattle again. Cheap too.
Other than that, if it's under hood, check the heat 'stove' on the exhaust that provides heated air to the intake for cold weather operation. Any other thing that rattled at specific rpms would either be internal(not likely) or on the nose, being belt-operated. The fan could be wobbly on the water pump, or the fan clutch starting to fail.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals