• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Taillight and Rear Hatch replacement issue

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Okay, 1995 Explorer yadda yadda yadda.... Did a short post about a rear hatch to replace our rotted out one.

Did some digging around online:

This just got interesting, and probably will require some custom fab work.

Looks like this gate, which came off a "1996" Explorer according to the ident sticker the yard has on the sides of the body. (no registration stickers, they get scrapped off when it's processed. So much for a quick glance)

This rear gate came off a 1998 or newer Explorer. This one has the license plate mount and lighting in the hatch itself. So that explains the wiring difference for the wiper motor. They diverted some of the wires to light the plate up, and went with a "motor park sense" system on the GEM module and not the 3 wire position system they used to have. That itself will be a challenge to figure out, but not impossible.

I will be heading back to the yard tomorrow morning. The newer gate does bolt up and is secure (locks work, seals against the back of the truck...etc.. Actually looks pretty good until one glances at the tail lights)

My concern is the tail lights and their shape. The curve looks to match the rear hatch and it has that depression of about 1 1/2 inch from the metal of the hatch. The old hatch was more boxy and the new hatch has that gentle curve to it. So my current tail lights are not curved to match, but are 'flat faced'.

We are planning on snagging the rear trim piece for the hatch, as mine won't line up or mount. I'm sure to get hosed on that chuck of plastic for the $$. I would also like to snag the tail lights. But need to know if anyone has done this before, and if the tail light mount to the body would be plug and play--of if a lot of modify work would need to be done.

The old gate is not going back onto the Explorer. The entire bottom of the hatch was/is rotted out with some good size rust holes in it. Granted they are not visible when the hatch is shut. But lift it up? And the bottom panel is roached. Each time I closed it? It's like a shower of rust falling onto the rear bumper.

Suggestions are welcome. I can live with the indented tail lights if I have to. Just want to try and make this look as factory as possible. There's no more serviceable hatches in the yard(s) that are in good shape, They even had one that was done in about 4" of colored duct tape due to all the rot.

S-

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Okay kids. This one can be closed as we've got it resolved.

The actual truck was not a 1996 as labeled. The emission label stated: 1998.

We located a donation "Explorer" that had the new style hatch with about the same color as ours. So we got the door skin.

The rear wiper? I ran another wire to the main harness and reused the wiper motor. We had to position the blade so it 'parks' on the glass, otherwise it catches the lip. The motor got a full re-wire and is functional.

Managed to locate a set of pristine tail lights made for the newer style explorer with the curvy rear hatch. Plug and Play. They look fantastic and the back of the truck looks like it was made like that from factory.

It was a lot of work, but it's almost completed. We just have to extend the washer tubing a few inches.

S-

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pics before and after please.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo

The old gate. The black circle area? That's what you can 'see' from the outside. Open that door and you would find all the metal UNDER it gone. Just one huge rot hole.

I think it came out great. It was a lot of wiring work to get the wiper motor running. Plus I'll have to get a vanity plate or something to insert into the license plate spot on the gate, as my plate is on the bumper.

It was nice to see the body-main itself was able to support the new gate, as that gate has one small 'ding' and no rust!

The taillights where a bit more then I planned on, but everything seams together now. The rear plastic cover, isn't the correct color, but it's a close match.

S-

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals