• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 timing issue

Curtis123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello! Maybe some of you fine folks can help me with a timing issue on my '94 Splash 3.0.

It was kind of a "Barn find", as it's been sitting for over 10 years. Body and interior darned-near perfect, but I bought it with some timing issues.
The previous owner, who is now passed on, put in a new distributor, which I pulled out and it was binding badly. Also the timing gear on the cam was chewed up a bit, so I stuck a new cam and lifters and new distributor in it. it still seems to have one more issue, though.

I can set the timing, but when I put the spout connector back in, it starts really hard. ECM, possibly?

I've determined the engine had been replaced at one point, for an older 3.0 built in late '91. I'm not sure if they replaced the ECM for that particular engine when they swapped it. If they haven't, will a '94 ECM work for a '92 model 3.0?

I haven't dug out the ECM yet, but is there a way to determine what model year ECM is in there?

Input is very appreciated.

Curt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'98
'94
'98
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3 & 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Trying to be a better Christian than non-christians.
Hi,
No, not compatible. I sometimes use the AZ website to see compatible vehicles for that part number. The 1991 lists 78-5085 for automatic, and 78-4427 for manual transmission. Neither of these parts are listed for the 1994 model year.
Hope this helps.
Vernon

Curtis123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi,
No, not compatible. I sometimes use the AZ website to see compatible vehicles for that part number. The 1991 lists 78-5085 for automatic, and 78-4427 for manual transmission. Neither of these parts are listed for the 1994 model year.
Hope this helps.
Vernon
Thanks Vernon. I'll have to get my double-jointed wrists out and pull the ECM to see if it's the right one. I'm suspecting this is the case. With the previous owner dead now, I'm flying blind as to what has been done on it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not for nothin' but................

What are you setting the base timing at, and have you adjusted the distributor AFTER connecting the spout for best idle, warm of course.
Then disconnect spout, and see what base timing has been changed to.

My thinking is that with an engine change you may have some mixed parts as far as crank pulley TDC mark(s) and timing chain cover deg marks.
So you may be setting the base timing to the wrong "marks" because they are changed.

Generally with spout connected spark advance would be 22-26deg BTDC, base timing + 12 to 14 deg(from ECU)

And if you leave spout disconnected does it always start up fine, warm or cold?

ECU can certainly go bad but it is not a common failure, considering the millions of older ones that are out there and still working fine.

ECM number will start with F47Z if it is a 1994
F = 199 and 4 is of course 4, lol
7Z means Ranger

E is 198 so E9 would be.....................1989 model year

You could have a F37Z as well if truck was made early in the year, it is the year of the computer usually the same as model year but not always.

Center part of the number, 12A650, is Fords part number for any ECU, 1983 to 2016

Last part can be 2 to 4 digits, Ford never published what each means, but they are specific to engine/trans/emission options, it is the firmware available in the ECU.

Then there will be a larger number stamped on the label, that is the software loaded on to the ECU, again not published but matching this number or being close is best

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals