• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

question about installing gears using MHD

92 5 oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I've installed gears before, it's been several years and last time we measured the pinion depth. I'm shooting to swap gears in my 8.8 but I'm thinking about doing it the MHD method. But I'm a little unclear about something. The current inner pinion bearing is a certain height but I don't know what that is yet, let's just say it's 1" for simplicity. Let's say the new inner pinion bearing is a few thousandths taller, wouldn't this cause the pinion gear to sit closer to the centerline? And when you install gears using the MHD you just measure the pinion head size and the shim but this doesn't take in account for size differences in the inner pinion bearing. And that's where my confusion is. Is it necessary to take in consideration for possible bearing height differences? From what Ive read about it, I don't recall anyone mentioning this. I must be missing something. Here's an article for reference http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/Gears.htm

thanks!

Last edited:

92 5 oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
never mind, i just re-read the article and realized they're reusing the old bearing. i guess i could always buy a few different ones and pick the closest to the factory and add/remove shims to make up for the difference in bearings. Or reuse the original

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The bearings don't actually vary much, I've replaced bearings dozens of times with the original(to the pinion)shim and I've never had a problem.

It could be "luck", but I don't believe I'm that lucky

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals