• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Growl! Arrrrg!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I've decided to sell my long bed and of course! The rear end is starting to make noises! it growls at low RPMs making a left hand turn and slight acceleration. If I let it Coast around a turn it's quiet. It doesn't growl much at all going straight. Going to have to check I guess just to make sure we don't lose a C clip! It's limited slip 8.8
Thoughts? Encouragement?

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Probably just a wheel bearing. They aren't super hard or expensive, but you do have to open the diff up to get it out. A slide hammer helps too.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Probably just a wheel bearing. They aren't super hard or expensive, but you do have to open the diff up to get it out. A slide hammer helps too.
Thanks for the reply! I did see that it doesn't look very complicated. I have noticed a very slight grease streaks on the left side rear wheel center but never enough to be concerned, and of course it's always had that low speed shake that seems to come and go at different speeds. Now I have a vision of the inside end of the axle is whipping around. Guess I'll never know till I get to see inside but winter is still here and all the shops are jammed up with inspections work. .

Going to teach myself how to read obd codes today!

I can almost afford to keep both trucks and i like the long bed, but I like the super cab even more, and I want to make that one into the truck that I actually want to keep. LOL

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I've decided to sell my long bed and of course! The rear end is starting to make noises! it growls at low RPMs making a left hand turn and slight acceleration. If I let it Coast around a turn it's quiet. It doesn't growl much at all going straight. Going to have to check I guess just to make sure we don't lose a C clip! It's limited slip 8.8
Thoughts? Encouragement?
Mine did the same thing. I changed the oil and used mobile one with friction modifier in it. All has been good for 60k. The friction modifier is to keep the clutches from sticking and making the growling noise on takeoff or turning.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Mine did the same thing. I changed the oil and used mobile one with friction modifier in it. All has been good for 60k. The friction modifier is to keep the clutches from sticking and making the growling noise on takeoff or turning.
Thnks, I actually picked up the friction modifier oil, but this is just a bit more than I think, oil can fix. it may be a few days or week before I get it looked at.

Just feeling a bit bummed out, two old trucks, trying to make one good for canoe trips LOL.

We used to build em!

Last edited:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Thnks, I actually picked up the friction modifier oil, but this is just a bit more than I think, oil can fix. it may be a few days or week before I get it looked at.

This feeling a bit bummed out, two old trucks trying to make one good for canoe trips LOL.

We used to build em!
Just put wheels on the canoes and your good. :icon_hornsup:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals