• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Y pipe rot

Ranger Rod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Automatic
I'm back,,, been a couple years since I completed the rebuild with the help of the folks here and she is still running strong! I have however needed to replace exhaust components on the 1995 3.0 litre. Once coming to the Y pipe and cat connection it has been discovered there is much more rot than can be sealed, the problem being a Y pipe is not available from auto supply shops. This connection is not a standard circular fitting but kinda oval so the lip findings you can buy for a cut off and bolt on application will not suffice, any suggestions???

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Y-Pipe is a dealer-only item. Head to http://www.fordparts.com/ . Not sure for a 95 but when I was pricing it out for my 93 it was $165 shipped, but I also don't have any of the mini cats, not sure if the 95 does as well.

YellowRanger95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fjord
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe try a local custom exhaust shop. If you have someone weld it, you might end up with melt back, on the inside of the pipe, restricting air flow (from 4 years experience as a welder) and finding out if their is melt back is difficult. An exhaust shop should be about the same price as the dealer part, but with more power gained.

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yep had that problem. Mug welder and a lot is time fixed that one

procadman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Y-Pipe Rot

I just had to have mine repaired (98 XLT RWD 4.0L) and ran into the same issue everyone else has: No one makes the pipe.
The pipe itself is fairly robust and, on a '98, does not have an integral cat.
Probably because there are 2 in-line cats between the y-pipe and the muffler.

The plate where the 2 pipes become one rusts severely, mine more than normal since it spent all it's life in Rockford, IL where they put something extremely corrosive on the roads in the winter.

The leak, although small, was making my o2 sensor lose it's mind.

A local exhaust shop rebuilt that section of the pipe and replaced the front cat for $200.

This same pipe is used from 1998 to 2011. I was shocked and dismayed that no one is making a replacement.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals