• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ranger Transfer Case Problems

benspilk09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2000 model, 3.0 flex fuel 5 speed truck. I was having trouble with the 4wd not staying engaged, it would make a loud bang and disengage if you applied very much torque to the front wheels, it would go right back in if you let off the throttle. Naturally this happens when the midwest gets that big snow storm yesterday.

I tore into my truck this afternoon and split the transfer case and to my amazement there wasn't anything seriously broken, it just appears that the 4wd shift collar isn't engaging all the way.

Here is what the mechanism looks like fully engaged

This is the cam and where the shift fork rides on it, I don't think its worn out

Finger on the end of the shift fork, again I don't think it is worn much at all

It still fits tight in the groove in the collar too

Here's the only damage I can find, the teeth on the collar and this gear (don't know its proper name) are rounded off, It should engage just fine though if the collar would move about 1/4" more

Here is how it sits when it is disengaged

Now am I missing a part or something? I haven't really had this truck very long and now is the first time I've gotten to try out the 4wd, I don't know the history of it but it all seems intact. I thought about welding a washer or something under the cam shaft to move it up a bit, any other ideas? This thing is my daily driver and I'd like to have it going before next week.

benspilk09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also I snapped that little finger off the end of the cam shaft while I was shifting it on the table, how critical of a piece is that? Is it just there for ease of assembly or does it serve a purpose? It seems to still shift fine without it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals