• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

118000 miles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Putting my '02 3.slow in the shop this morning for 6 new injectors, 4 new cats, 3 new O2 sensors, timing cover gasket, new waterpump, top and bottom radiator hose, thermostat, Oil pan gasket, new plugs, gas filter, class III receiver hitch, trailer brake controller with new RV plug wiring done right, ... forgot what all. Got new drive belt at 100000. New camshaft sensor & sync at 80000. Auto tranny was flushed and filled at 80000. Other things were replaced at 80000 I have forgotten about but have receipts stuffed in the glovebox.

Will be towing a 3000 pound, 19.5' travel trailer. Thinking I should have brake fluid flushed and refilled. Brakes are good to go. Probably should have suspension completely inspected also.

What else ???

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

heavy breather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
By a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck

Sorry, but this kind of thing leaves a sour taste in my mouth, I seen a guy kill a whole family because he was towing to much with two small of a vehicle and could not maintain control of it while braking. Guy was changing a tire on the side of the HWY, traffic stopped all of a sudden, the guy pulling the trailer could not stop. swerved to the shoulder only to see the guy changing a tire, so he turned even more and hit the guys wife and kids who were standing there watching their father/ husband change the tire on their car. The guy could only stand there as his family was killed right before his eyes.

3,000lbs is a lot of weight, you might have the horse power to pull it, but even with trailer brakes, that ranger does not have enough mass to keep control of that trailer.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
sorry to rain on your parade, the 3.0 does not have enough power to tow your trailer.

if you do tow that, you will need 4.10 gears at the minimum, upgrade the front rotors/brakes to 12" (if its torsion bars), a big rear stabilizer bar, tires no bigger than stock. a larger transmission cooler. and a lot of fuel!

and the size of the truck vs trailer is a problem, not enough truck. the trailer will throw the truck around on anything other than a straight level road.

get out the owners manual, check the combined gross vehicle weight.

Last edited:

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Uh, guys, Rangers are rated to tow 3,000 lbs in the right configurations. If the factory says it's legal, then it's legal in the eyes of the DOT.

That said, for towing I am a big advocate for having an adequate vehicle for towing. Personally, I would make sure the brakes and suspension are up to snuff, make sure you have the 10" drums in the rear instead of the 9", buy the best front brakes you can. And most definitely get trailer brakes put on, electric brakes with an inertia activated brake controller is best. Trailer brakes when properly set will make a huge difference in stopping with a trailer.

A Ranger is not all that much lighter than a regular cab F-150. I hauled two Bronco II's on car dollys behind my Ranger. They push you along stopping.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

heavy breather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
With straight line stopping, the trailer brakes and the rangers brakes are probably pretty close to adequate, but when you factor in wind, curves in the road way, down hill, shorter stopping distances due unforseen circumstances, and what not. The Ranger quickly becomes outmatched. Stomping on the brakes and changing lanes all of a sudden could wind up sending you down the road on your side and or backwards.

I have seen quite a few people involved in accidents where a life was lost, personally, I don't know how I would deal with it, even if I was legal.

I am not saying that you are for sure going to kill someone let alone even have an accident, but having been an
EMT for 12 years, I have talked to a lot of people who did not think it would happen to them.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'98
'94
'98
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3 & 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Trying to be a better Christian than non-christians.
A month ago I towed a trailer with my 3.0 and the light changed red. It slid to a stop in the middle of the intersection on dry pavement, straight and true however.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
2002 Ford Ranger Edge 2WD SuperCab 3.0L V-6 - tow rating - 3780 pounds ...

Requires automatic transmission, 3.73:1 axle ratio.

I have 3.73, auto, trailer brakes, new Teconsha P3 brake controller, leveling and antisway hitch, tandem axle camper, 350 pound tongue weight, class III receiver hitch, 55 year old experienced man with lots of tow experience including tractor trailer.

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
My point exactly. You're doing it right from the sounds of it.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
2002 Ford Ranger Edge 2WD SuperCab 3.0L V-6 - tow rating - 3780 pounds ...

Requires automatic transmission, 3.73:1 axle ratio.

I have 3.73, auto, trailer brakes, new Teconsha P3 brake controller, leveling and antisway hitch, tandem axle camper, 350 pound tongue weight, class III receiver hitch, 55 year old experienced man with lots of tow experience including tractor trailer.

OK, you have the most important part covered.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals