• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cylinder head replacement

moore_savage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm going to be replacing the cylinder heads on my 2001 3.0L they come complete. should I get new rockers and rods too, or will the old ones be okay?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Yes, if the originals don't show any unusual wear on the push rod ends or rocker sockets you can reuse them

There were Roller Rocker kits for these engines, but mixed bag on if they were "worth the money" without doing other modifications with them.
Rollers reduce the friction, and usually opened valves a bit more to increase air flow
On their own you wouldn't notice any gain in power while driving
Dyno tests do show a gain but not really enough to feel it

2001 3.0l Vulcan engine did use TTY(torque to yeild) head bolts, so they can not be reused, even regular head bolts shouldn't be reused, lol.
But for sure the TTY bolts shouldn't be
And if you look up the torque specs on 3.0l head bolts you might find different specs, that is because BOTH regular and TTY head bolts were used over the 22 years this engine was manufactured, TTY bolt specs always have a DEGREE final torque, not a ft/lb final torque
So if you see "turn 90deg" or similar as final tightening thats the specs to use on 2001 3.0l head bolts
If you see "tighten to 68ft/lb" or similar then thats the wrong specs for 2001

Last edited:

moore_savage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thank you soo much :) and yes i got new head bolts on the way. with the heads. im pulling the old ones off tomorrow to see if they are cracked or not. my father in law re used the head bolts 3 times. he was done working on the truck so i bought it from him. really appreciate the reply back so quickly.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Had the heads off 3 times???

There MUST BE a story there.....................lol

Use a straight edge and check the block surface for warping
Easy to do, just use a flashlight behind straight edge and look for light come thru under the straight edge

moore_savage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
okay ill do that. do the blocks warp easy?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No they don't, but unless there are some good reasons for the 3 "head jobs" then there may be an underlying reason for the head problem

heavy breather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ron is right. There seems to be a problem. A set of heads, baring over heating or some type of valve failure should last the life of the vehicle.

If the truck has ever been over heated then something could have warped out of speck.

Although I guess if he is re using the TTY bolts, it could be that the heads were not properly torqued correctly causing issues.

When torquing your head bolts make sure you use a good torque wrench, some lube for torquing bolts(ARP's lube is cheap from Amazon). Also be sure to use compressed air and blow out all fluids from the bolt holes before inserting head bolts. You can and will crack the block if oil, coolant, or some other liquid is in the bolt hole.

Also check the gasket and make sure the correct side faces down and up. On some gasket sets it matters, on most it does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals