• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 transplant

scoyote

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have acquired a good 2.8 from Mustang 2 and have plans to pull the tired 2.8 from my 85 Ranger----this gives me the Duraspark and gets rid of the bank of vacuum relays and the feedback carb--thanks to the forum the wire splicing should be straight forward. I recently snapped a bolt in the lower rad housing (thermostat=overheat probs)and actually cracked the housing while trying to pean the bolt head (hoping 2 bolts and rtv will hold for the short term)--i'm trying to get it running to move it but went to replace the housing with the older cast iron piece and it hits the steering box??Does anyone know if there are any other necessary change overs (ie. the oil pan) Should i retain the computer for any peripheral guages ? will it serve any use after the motor exchange---tia for any insights----scoyote

scoyote

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sorry---if anyone wants to help with some advice away from posting here---email me directly please ---scoyote@shaw.ca---thanks Brent

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
The computer does nothing for your guages its just for the emissions control. Im told the Mustangs lower radiator hose outlet is different then a Rangers. Also there are a few differences with the internals of the engines such as the cams shafts are a different design. As for other stuff I dont know.

scoyote

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
mustang 2.8 lower rad hose housing

The cast iron housing from the mustang 2.8 (i want to swap into my 85 Ranger 4x4) has a different bolt pattern from the newer 2.8 cast aluminum housing-2 of 3 will line up but puts me 90 degrees from where i want to be-my problem is the cast iron one fits the desired engine but there is an extra snorkel (no idea what it's for--doesn't flow from the thermostat housing at all???) This extra cast piece won't clear the steering box---is there a work around here? Has anyone swapped out their 2.8 for the older 2.8 from a Capri-Pinto-Mustang 2?? I'd like to hear what they ran into or had to change out---Thanks Brent----scoyote@shaw.ca

scoyote

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
mustang 2.8 vs.ranger 2.8

This swap doesn't work out easily!!??? Looks like the whole timing gear cover has to be swapped out--lower rad hose housing hits the steering box and the two covers have different bolt patterns in that area---Also looks like the oil pan and pump must change out and you're left with no hole for your dipstick! Too many hassles--if someone has done this early 2.8 into a Ranger 4x4 and i'm incorrect on these points --i would love to hear about their install--Brent---scoyote@shaw.ca

thehotwire

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am currently building a 75 mustang II 2.8 for my 1985 4x4 ranger, weird huh, alrighty bud as far as i know the only thing that is different is the water pump other than that it should be striaght forward, your completely removing the ranger 2.8, everything....transmission and transfercase and all. leave the radatior. now take the oil pan off of the ranger 2.8 put it on the mustang II one and now bolt it up to the transmission and everything, and if i was you i would use the distr. from the ranger just so you aint gotta worry bout timing not working(happened to me for some reason.) now drop that sucker in there. hook everything up, its that simple as long as you have a complete 2.8L besides the oil pan. now go take it to the nearest mud hole.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals