• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

still having flood out prob on start up

88rangerxltkc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I replaced iac valve which my uncle told me was the prolem. well no it wasn't. the truck still on start up spits and sputters wanting to flood out no matter what rpm. sometimes it will clear up quick and sometimes it will take 30 seconds. but like someone flipped a switch it clears out and runs PERFECT. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

sjr53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I would put a timing light on the coil high tension wire & see if it is misfiring. I haven't read your previous posts that I'm aware of. It sounds like more than flooding from multiple leaking injectors or some other fuel problem (FPR) since it clears up suddenly. How about corrosion on the coils primarey wiring connection.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
I replaced iac valve which my uncle told me was the prolem. well no it wasn't. the truck still on start up spits and sputters wanting to flood out no matter what rpm. sometimes it will clear up quick and sometimes it will take 30 seconds. but like someone flipped a switch it clears out and runs PERFECT. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Best to run codes....so that more parts are not replaced...on a "yeap, by jingle,that is it", fashion.

for getting the codes http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.html

that said, It could very well could have been the IAC was playing a part in your symptoms. maybe not, has there been any improvements/changes in start up since??...or is it still the same??

it could still be one or more items causing the issue....IDK?

FPR
MAP
CTS
ACTS

grounds and vacuum leaks, need to be checked too

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The word "FLOOD" refers to too much fuel.. Missing at startup most times ISN'T too much fuel. So if it IS flooding there should be black smoke from the tail pipe.
My first guess is the mixture is too lean, causing the missing at startup.. Or some other problem, rather than "flooding".
Big JIm

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had similar problems with my coolant temperature sensor. Sometimes the truck ran great, sometimes was super rich, hard to start etc.

88rangerxltkc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
well thanks everyone for the advise i think im gonna start with pulling the codes seeing that i haven't done it since ive owned the truck.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im willing to bet its either fpr, injectors, or temp sensor for computer

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
my 2.9 would flood out when i had a bad coil.

88rangerxltkc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
my 2.9 would flood out when i had a bad coil.
yeah i replaced the coil already i barely got it home when i bought it. The guy i bought it from did not know any thing about trucks and he had one of the plug cut off and spit into the three diff. wires and left one off. So i fixed that and havent had a single problem since. Now my 4.0 is a diffrent story, it has all sorts of problems.:annoyed:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals