• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Chevy Leafs have 3/8" centerpins??

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Has anyone running Chevy leafs had problems with breaking these things?
Doing a 64" spring swap... Wondering if I should drill the leaves out slightly to fit the bigger 7/16" pins like RBV springs use... (a buddy of mine years ago broke two of them under his K5 Blazer, though he did drive like an ass at times...).

Thoughts?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I drilled out mine, not because of worry about breaking, but to fit the only bolt size I had on hand. I went through 3or4 titanium step drill bits because of the spring steel. Next time I would try a cobalt bit.
Richard

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Never had an issue with them on my stock set or my aftermarket set that I run now.

What ya swapping them in to Junkie?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah I got cobalt bits.

They're going under my BII.
For some reason I seem to have a knack for bending passengerside springs near the forward eye right about where the end of the 2nd leaf rests. Did it to an Explorer leaf, and now one of my Skyjackers. :icon_confused: So I figure it's time to try something else.

Scott B.

EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just a thought - Deaver has a "snail wrap" leaf that might prevent your bending.

It is a thicker leaf, wrapping over the top of the front mount to the axle (only covering the front half of the spring.)

They put one on my leaf pack because of the V8. But it might help your bending issue.

Just an idea.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'm already well underway into the Chevy spring swap (plus Deavers are a lot more $$$ too). Appreciate the info though (no doubt, everything I know about Deaver is that they make quality stuff).

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Chevy leafs are in.
I went ahead with the bigger center pins... I just couldn't get comfortable with the smaller bolts, especially after also finding a bit of deformation at the edge of the holes in the axle leaf perches (telling me there's a lot of force up against those pins :icon_surprised: ).

Unfortunately it turns out the 7/16" cobalt bit I had bought is now a piece of chinese crap (thanks Home Depot :annoyed: ), and wanted nothing more of it after about halfway through the first leaf (POS kept chipping), so Dremel to the rescue! Using a bullet-shaped grinding stone I was able to knock 'em out in about 3-4 minutes each leaf.

Procomp 3.5" leafs

Hoping they might settle about ½ inch or so, otherwise I think it came out pretty decent.

1RangerNut

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Did you move each mount 3" or just build a beefier rear mount to go along with the front?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
you need to cut the eyes off a sploder main and put it in between to keep from janking them up all the time....i took mine out to setup another rig and murdered the pack i have pulling out another guy because i forgot about robbing the long leaf:icon_twisted:.....one of those fix it later deals and forgot:icon_rofl:

again....

i have seen it mixed with the chevy springs...depends on setup and traction bar style. i do ok with 150 hd springs and the de=eyeballed intermediate so the 63 thing dont interest me much.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Did you move each mount 3" or just build a beefier rear mount to go along with the front?
The front mount is about 4" forward & 1" higher than stock (puts the leaf eye right to ¼" from hitting against the BII cab mount), and the rear shackle mount is about 3" rearward of stock. In this configuration the axle sits 3" rearward of stock with the ProComp leafs (which I found to be 7" longer on the forward side vs. the RBV leafs, not the 6" I commonly see mentioned... They are also an additional inch longer at the shackle end (for a total of 8" longer), and have a ¾"-offset centerpin).

you need to cut the eyes off a sploder main and put it in between to keep from janking them up all the time....i took mine out to setup another rig and murdered the pack i have pulling out another guy because i forgot about robbing the long leaf:icon_twisted:.....one of those fix it later deals and forgot:icon_rofl:

again....

i have seen it mixed with the chevy springs...depends on setup and traction bar style. i do ok with 150 hd springs and the de=eyeballed intermediate so the 63 thing dont interest me much.
An eyes-cut-off main leaf I could see helping to keep Explorer springs from bending, however the 2nd leaf on my Skyjacker springs was already to within an inch of the main eye. I don't think it would've helped much, if at all on the SJ packs.

When I go on camping trips of a week or longer, I'm probably carrying 600lbs of gear, food, water, and what not. Combining that with the weight transfer that occurs with a short-wheelbase while climbing while also contorting the suspension over rocks at the same time I guess is what's doing them in. I never had this issue on my Ranger.

Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Looks good. I've got the 5.5" Procomps in mine.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Thanks. :beer:

So far I'm happy with them (got two mild (non-rockcrawling) trips on them so far). The ride doesn't seem too dramatically different, though I have noticed a slight bit less 'bounding' up & down of the rearend over whoops and dips in the trail (I still may need to valve the rear shocks a bit stiffer, something I've suspected since putting the Fox shocks on about 1½ years ago). They've settled about that half-inch I was hoping for and have just about the perfect stance now. :cool:

One thing I did while doing the centerpins was ditch the crazy-thick (and heavily arched) ProComp overload leafs for a pair of stock (almost-flat) Ranger OL leafs with the long-side faced forward. Should allow it a bit more "stuffage" when flexing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals