• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

no cranking, 2004 2.3l 5 speed

rayb2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Had a problem when a cable from the main battery harness that extends under engine to a red two pin connector with wire off side (ground) was ripped off the side of engine. It looked fraid from manifold heat anyways, so I repaired that. It still did not crank. Doing alot of clicking. Batt good, charging, fuses, no codes, runs well after bump starting, did not know you could still do that. Now checking clutch switch.
Is that multi 6 wire, I am assuming its the switch, is it supposed to be loose on that clutch connecting rod under dash? Could I bypass to check?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The smaller Red wire on the starter motor is from the Clutch switch, when this wire has 12volts it activates the starter solenoid causing the starter motor to be connected directly to battery via the larger Red cable.

The clicking could be a voltage loss on that small red wire so it can not hold the solenoid closed, this could be in the clutch switch or ignition switch or it maybe that the solenoid is going bad.

Put truck in NEUTRAL!!!!
Block the tires!!!!!
Key OFF!!!!
Get a jumper wire and hook it to Battery +
Touch the other end of that wire to where the smaller wire connects at the start motor, engine should crank, not start, but crank.
If you still get the clicks then starter motor/solenoid is bad, or your battery is very weak.

If engine cranks then problem is in the wiring from ignition switch thru clutch switch to starter solenoid.

Last edited:

rayb2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Yeh, it is actually a yellow wire. There is some sparking but will not turn over. I guess that switch i mentioned under dash is suppose to be loose and move up and down that connecting rod.
Okay, I will change solenoid and get back to you.
Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the clutch switch floats on the push rod.

rayb2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Yep, changed starter. The connecting cable had corroded and split. Covered all electric connections with dilectric grease.
Thanks for your help.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals