• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 weird issue

Tbarnes93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So im back again with a strange issue with my 94 4.0 ranger. Everything is going great runs good warms up good no issues. Then I turn it off........ Wait about 10-20 min start it up sounds great no issues. Let out the clutch give it some gas, it stumbles. This only happens for a short period of time, maybe 50 ft. The thing that confuses me is that when it is stumbling or bogging if i press the clutch it acts normal revs up sounds good and if i let it out fast enough it will stumble for a split second and then everything goes back to normal. So i have done many things before posting on this forum lol. I changed my air filter thought it would be restricting flow but that was not it. I checked my plug wires and plug connections all good. plugs look brand new (less than 6 month old moto plats). If it is a fuel/air issue it would do this even with the clutch in right? I cleaned my intake with some carb cleaner. I also for giggles took my IAC off and checked if it was dirty, cleaned it off no change. I even threw some fuel injector cleaner in it and cleaned the maf with some expensive electrical cleaner. I'm clueless as to what the issue is. Any ideas guys? I will be grateful when i figure this out lol.

Last edited:

Tbarnes93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it also passed koer koeo tests no issues there either

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check your fuel pressure, should be 40-45psi at idle and 2,000rpm.

Just thinking maybe the FPR(fuel pressure regulator) might be dropping the fuel pressure too much at idle, when you open the throttle, vacuum drops and FPR closes so pressure should come back up, but you could get stumbling until then.

You can't adjust the FPR.

Over all low pressure could just be the fuel pump just getting old.

Tbarnes93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay thank you I will be going to my grandfathers shop in a few days to balance my tires and we will check it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dazzlin' Dave

06/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Tps?

I've been having some weird issues with my 94 4.0...
It was acting like it had vacuum leaks, which it did as well as a few leaks in the intake tube. I redid all the intake gaskets (make sure you ignore the instructions and use some Permatex! I didn't the first time and had to redo my intake gaskets!!) I also found some leaks in my throttle body shaft and replaced the o-rings. The thing was still acting funny, get to 1/2 throttle and it starts stumbling, unplug the MAF and it runs crappy, but I can get down the road. I broke out my analog voltmeter and checked the TPS again... I already checked it with a digital and didn't notice anything weird. Lo and behold! With the analog meter the needle rose as I opened the throttle and then started falling back!!
Diagnosis -Bad TPS!

Not to say that would be your gremlin, but I'd check it to eliminate the possibility.

Last edited:

Tbarnes93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We can check that as well what is the voltage supposed to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
TPS gets 5volts from computer on one wire, other wire is a Ground, usually the center wire(3rd wire) is the voltage return wire, with key on engine off, this wire should read .6-.9volts with throttle closed.
As you manually open throttle plate voltage should steadily rise, no jumping around, at full throttle voltage should be at 4.5-4.7volts

Tbarnes93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I went out and bought a multimeter and checked the tps 2 times. the closed was .89 and .9 and the open was 3.87 and 3.89 no jumps or drops and steady is it faulty?

Tbarnes93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and the 5 volt wire was at like 4.97 or something close to that i think that is close enough to 5 lol

Tbarnes93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I took the sensor off and drove it around the block didn't have any issues it just idled high when I initially took it off and the cel came on I think it is the sensor

Last edited:

Tbarnes93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I messed the test up my dad got in and pressed the pedal and I guess I didn't press hard enough but it's .89 closed 4.62 open any other ideas? What about clogged cat?

Tbarnes93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
tested fuel pressure today at idle it was around 28 psi change it?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals