• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tire Debate

SCRAPINRANGER302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
How much does the load rating come into effect when Towing? I would like to be able to put the 18s on my truck that I got. Someone told me if I'm doing any towing at all I shouldn't have those on when I tow. I dont think I ever noticed a load rating a car street tire. What about sport truck tires They arent real lo profiles but do they have load ratings? Sorry about my rambles I'm just hoping to get my truck done and set up the way I want it. Thoughts please Thank you guys

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
It should say on the tire somewhere MAX Gross load rating or something to that effect.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Usually though you can fudge those ratings quite a bit. Just like the actual tow rating of the truck.

As long as the tires have the right amount of PSI in them, you'll break springs and hitches before you get enough weight on to blow a tire.

later,
Dustin

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
I tow around 20k lbs often, including the weight of my powerstroke truck so 10-14k lbs trailers. I run D range mudders and they do fine (35" Diameter). i run 16" wheels. I try to run E range but Ds work fine so far. been running that range for a few yrs. but the Es i have noticed are more stable. depends on how much your towing. I want 18s on my truck also, but cant justify them cuz they dont make me go faster and tires for them are more expensive haha.

And Dustin, i like your quotes in your sig :headbang:

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
I have towed with 35" BFG ats Load range D and they towed ok. But now my boggers (load range C) tow really bad. I wouldn't tow with any tire with less than a D rating. My E rated tires tow great on my dually plus there are 4 of them, I have no sway no matter what I tow.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you are talking about the newer style 18 inch street tires that have the somewhat lower profile (sidewall height), then i don't think i'd tow anything with them. there just isn't enough sidewall to provide the stability you need when towing imho. i know their sidewalls are somewhat stiffer to support the weight of the car, but much more than that, i doubt it. check the labeling on the tire to see about max pressures and weight very closely. good luck!

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah usually they will say max weight with so and so PSI. but that doesn't completely apply because with a trailer all your measuring is tounge weight. (or how ever you spell that) You tow a 4 ton trailer but your not putting 4 tons of downward pressure on the tires you putting whatever the tounge weight is like 4 ton trailer would have i don't know 200 lb toung weight. your now putting 200 lb's on your tires (big whoop) you will be more worried about blowing up your engine. the load rating only applies really if your dumping weight in the bed.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
tongue weight is typically about 10% of the gross weight of the trailer. your 4 ton trailer would have a tongue load of 800#. that's a lot of weight to be dumping in anybody's bed... imho.

Last edited:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
tongue weight is typically about 10% of the gross weight of the trailer. your 4 ton trailer would have a tongue load of 800#. that's a lot of weight to be dumping in anybody's bed... imho.
Well yeah... whatever lol. I was just sayin that its not like your putting the whole weight on the tires just part of it. so a simple load c should b able to take the weight cause the back of the truck is otherwise empty.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals